cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 w/ RF24-70 f2.8 has IBIS wobble @ 24mm?

kwanfs
Contributor

Hello,

I have read that the rf15-35mm has ibis wobble when zoomed out. I don't have that lens, but I got the RF24-70 and it seems it also suffers from ibis wobble at 24mm. Is this normal?

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend

What am I supposed to be looking at in the video?  It looks and sounds like several seconds of handheld video, which was shot on a fairly windy night.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."

Sorry forgot to mention that part. Have a look at the buildings on the far left.

I saw that.  It is a handheld shot.  I do not see anything that strikes me as unusual.  If you have Digital IS turned on, then the image may get cropped slightly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While true that some stabilization systems crop the image, that's not what is being shown in the video.  The buildings on the left-hand-side indeed have a wobble (jell-o) effect going on.   A shaky hand-held shot no doubt causes it's own set of issues, but this is an additional problem above and beyond.

--
Ricky

EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L, 600EX-RT (x6), ST-E3-RT
EOS C70, RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS, EF-EOS R 0.71x

Yes, I don't have Digital IS turned on, just Lens IS + IBIS. Apparently, after doing some research the wobble is caused by IBIS. And it seems the majority of people who reported are using RF15-35 trying to shoot wide-angle below 20mm. I'm just trying see if my gear has problem or it's working as expected.

rs-eos
Whiz

I don't have any equipment with IBIS (the EOS C70 uses either lens IS and/or digital stabilization), so don't have first-hand experience.  I can state though that for the specific equipment itself, I'm not a fan of any non-optical solution.  I do like the different rigs you can get which seem to offer much better (and sometimes superior) stabilization solutions.

--
Ricky

EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L, 600EX-RT (x6), ST-E3-RT
EOS C70, RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS, EF-EOS R 0.71x

Waddizzle
Legend

It is shot in the dark, using a wide angle lens, possibly without any specific part of the image for a stable AF lock.  Just what exactly should the IBIS be locked onto?  As near as I can tell, nothing.  The OP reports this only happens at the wide end of the lens, 24mm.  It s working normally, IMHO.

This is interesting. I don't see this mentioned anywhere; but for IBIS to work it needs AF lock? How would you do that?

Announcements