cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to all this: EF lens recommendations for portrait and golf photography

ScottBoy226
Apprentice

New to the camera world, but I am looking to upgrade my lens game. I have a hand me down Rebel XS/1000D body with a 50mm and an 18-55mm lens. I’m not wanting to get a new body but I am open to suggestions if the price is right. I would primarily want to shoot portraits but having the ability to shoot golf would be nice. Below are my some of my good ones from my shoots (All are 18-55):

IMG_8141.jpeg

• image.jpg

IMG_8122.jpeg

IMG_8131.jpeg

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:

To offer suggestions that you can afford, it would be helpful to know:
1-  A $ value for your budget, so we don't suggest things you cannot afford.
2. When you say golf, precisely what aspect of golf do you want to shoot - would this include wide angle shots. images of the golfers taken from a distance but showing them close up in the image?
3 - What do you intend to produce? Images for social media or digital display, small to medium (say 11x17") prints or something else?

Providing these details will help us to help you most effectively.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the Canon Community!

There is far more to using an interchangeable lens camera than simply pointing and shooting.  In addition to climbing the learning curve for digital cameras, you willl need to learn about the basics of photography.  I like to draw a comparison to buying a guitar or piano and learning how to play music.  You must first learn some music theory.

In photography, you will need to start with the basics, “Exposure Triangle” and “Depth of Field.”  

Canon USA YouTube: EOS 101 - Photography Basics 

You will also need to learn about lenses, and the different types.

Canon USA YouTube: EF 101 - Lens Basics 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements