cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Photography: Wide-angle lens recommendations for scenery photos

slemasters
Apprentice

I have just purchased a Canon eos F50. In addition to the 15 - 45 lens that comes with the camera I bought a 100 - 400 telephoto.  We are full time travelers in an RV and I take a lot of scenic shots.  What is the best ultra wide angle lens to use for scenery?

I appreciate any and all comments.  

Regards.

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:
I very much envy your mobile lifestyle: North America offers far more scope for such a thing compared to much, much smaller NZ, which is divided into islands that are expensive to move between with a mobile home.

I can find no record for an Canon F50 - do you mean the R50?  Being a crop sensor, an ultra wide angle lens is a challenge, but I would suggest the following:
10-18mm F2.8 DC DN | Contemporary | Lenses | SIGMA Corporation (sigma-global.com)  it has recently been released for Canon RF-S mount and is a highly-regarded lens on the other brands (Sony and Fuji) on which it has been previously used.  See: Sigma 10-18mm f2.8 for CANON review vs RF-S 10-18mm (youtube.com)

While the Canon equivalent RF-S 10-18 IS is image stabilized, with its smaller minimum f/stop, it is both less effective in low light and for separating subjects in constricted areas. It has no weather sealing but is cheaper than the Sigma.

For shorter focal length lenses image stabilization is usually less of an issue unless you are shooting in very low light, in which case I would suggest using a tripod or other support. That said if you have a reasonably steady hand and use the EVF you can expect to hand-hold the Sigma on 10mm at about 1/16 sec.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Stephen

Hey there! Your post contains a couple of confusing statements. Can you please verify your camera information and lenses so the community can offer the best advice? Thanks in advance! 

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

First I think you mean the EOS R50 I'm trying to make sure we're talking about the right camera. Do you have a budget to spend on a lens. Look into the RF-S 10-18mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM lens if your budget permits it. This lens is specifically designed for APS-C cameras. Canon is currently offering a sale on the lens currently. ALWAYS buy from Canon Authorized Dealers. Not buying from Authorized could lead you to Gray Market Gear. Gray Market gear is gear sold in a region it is NOT intended to be sold in. Gray Market gear has NO WARRANTY and Canon can REFUSE to repair it. Link to Lens 

download.jpg

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Announcements