cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Canon 16-35 f4!

echelonphoto
Enthusiast

I just got the new 16-35 IS lens from fedex...ordered direct from Canon...anyone else got this yet?  I just did some prelim tests on a brick wall and some landscapes and I am not that thrilled with it. It is definitely better at the edges and corners than my 17-40 at 16mm....but it is not as sharp in the center and lacks the pop of the old lens there. Also...it has pretty soft corners at

35mm and again not as sharp in the center. I shot tests at f4, 5.6, and 8....the lens is actually the most impressive wide open...it does not improve much when stopping down....please share your experiences...I want to find out if I got a bad copy.

3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

You may want to read this then.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1377245

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Just use the lens on a job....I think it is severely back focusing!

@echelonphoto wrote:

Just use the lens on a job....I think it is severely back focusing!

You think it's severely back focusing?  Put it on a tripod and find out for sure.  A f/4 UWA shouldn't really need AFMA, but you can check.  If it's outside of the realm of AFMA then you got a lemon; it happens.  But your original post doesn't seem to indicate a back-focus issue, so I'm curious how you came to this conclusion.

Announcements