cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 100-400 11 has firmware 1.6..I have downloaded the 1.7

BAS2
Contributor

Sadly I have never updated a canon lens firmware before so being extra careful for the first time....have a 7d m11 and an r5...am thinking of using the 7d for the update to avoid using the control ring on the r5 and possibly?? the card reader???? ...would this work okay? Can I use a newly updated canon utility for this ? .. firmware is up to date on both cameras and so is software right now. My 100-400 11 is currently 1.6 ...Am having really nice results  but hoping that an upgrade to 1.7 will make the birds in flight with my r5 + 1.4 tc 111 just a little better? Regardless, I am happy to finally discover that I can  upgrade the lenses myself. Better late than never, LOL

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Just follow the directions and add the .fir file to the root directory of your card. Go to the firmware update page of the tool menu. Both the camera firmware and the lens firmware will show. Just don't press any buttons till process completes.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

TY! that is information I wanted to know....Just for a new learning experience I did upgrade and it went very well...now I want to play with the IS to check how it works now 😊 Your advice is much appreciated....

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

A lot of people do FW updates that offer them no benefit.  Always read what the FW does first. Especially when doing so for your camera. Sometime all it does is add a language to the menus for instance. If you don't speak that language the FW update is useless to you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Just follow the directions and add the .fir file to the root directory of your card. Go to the firmware update page of the tool menu. Both the camera firmware and the lens firmware will show. Just don't press any buttons till process completes.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TY! for replying! Today I studied the pdf  instructions and used my 7D M11 with a card reader...easiest firmware update I have ever done 🙂 😊

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Firmware 1.7 fixes a phenomenon, where in rare cases, the IS mechanism may cause the image to jump.

Unless you have experienced a problem with your IS, upgrading to 1.7 won’t improve your photos.

Mike Sowsun

TY! that is information I wanted to know....Just for a new learning experience I did upgrade and it went very well...now I want to play with the IS to check how it works now 😊 Your advice is much appreciated....

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

A lot of people do FW updates that offer them no benefit.  Always read what the FW does first. Especially when doing so for your camera. Sometime all it does is add a language to the menus for instance. If you don't speak that language the FW update is useless to you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TY! for the advice...makes good sense....                          

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements