cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintenance for lens EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM

Far-Out-Dude
Rising Star
Rising Star

Next month I will be upgrading my EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM lens to the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens, I would like to have routine maintenance done on the old lens, cleaning and so on. I have never sent a lens in and was wondering if there is anything special to do? I tried to figure it out on the maintenance page for the lens but they make it a nightmare to figure out how to do anything. Also I may sell this lens to try to get another lens (Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM Lens as I have never had a prime lens and shoot a lot of landscape and already have the 11-22 lens) (Camera is a eos M50 Mark I) and I would like to know how to figure out I believe it is called shutter count on the lens as I see that as a common question to please selling camera lenses. I hope I am asking these questions properly, I am still kinda new and have never had any of my lenses in for maintenance before. Thank you for any help given.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is what you are looking for.  11 point inspection / service.

Canon Maintenance Service

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

There is no shutter count for lenses. Only cameras can record the shutter count.

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is what you are looking for.  11 point inspection / service.

Canon Maintenance Service

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you very much, I greatly appreciate it, as I said I may sell or trade it to get another lens and would never want to send somebody something that was in any way defective. I wish I could get the same done with my camera but I won the camera so have no coverage for it and do not have the funds right now. Before Autumn colors for sure though.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

There is no shutter count for lenses. Only cameras can record the shutter count.

Mike Sowsun

Thank you, I honestly wondered about that but am still new enough that I was unsure, I have only been at this about 2 1/2 years. So much to learn.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Far-Out-Dude wrote:

Next month I will be upgrading my EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM lens to the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens, I would like to have routine maintenance done on the old lens, cleaning and so on. I have never sent a lens in and was wondering if there is anything special to do? I tried to figure it out on the maintenance page for the lens but they make it a nightmare to figure out how to do anything. Also I may sell this lens to try to get another lens (Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM Lens as I have never had a prime lens and shoot a lot of landscape and already have the 11-22 lens) (Camera is a eos M50 Mark I) and I would like to know how to figure out I believe it is called shutter count on the lens as I see that as a common question to please selling camera lenses. I hope I am asking these questions properly, I am still kinda new and have never had any of my lenses in for maintenance before. Thank you for any help given.

This is just my opinion, but If the images are sharp and exposed properly there is likely nothing wrong with your lens. I wouldn't spend money on a cleaning service for that lens since it will significantly cut into what you could sell the lens for.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The lens is still under warranty, I thought it was free to have done?

You'd have to check with Canon about that. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The lens is still under warranty, I thought it was free to have done?"

A clean and check, C&C, is not free at least not at this level.

"... If the images are sharp and exposed properly there is likely nothing wrong with your lens.

Good advice. 😀

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you, that would still make me feel better if I traded it or sold it.

Announcements