cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens advice required. Nifty fifty or something else? For indoor workshop videos

MetalSculptor
Contributor

Hi me again, quick question about lenses ...

I'm using a t3i / 600d to film in a small workshop, generally filming from a distance of no more than 1.25m. I have a kit 18-55mm EFS lens. I need quite a lot of additional light to avoid grainy high ISOs and so I was thinking about alternatives.

On a pretty tight budget but could probably stretch to a second hand nifty fifty / budget maybe £75? The reviews sound like this might help with its wider aperture and it sounds a like a well respected lens ... but ... I feel like losing the zoom is going to be a little frustrating.

What are my options?

Are there any small zoom lenses (eg 35-70mm) within that budget with wider apertures than the EFS I have?

Might a non zoom 35mm lens be better for what i'm doing?

This is the sort of footage i'm shooting, sometimes a little close - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ml-s5bNqX0

Oh ... and autofocus would be nice too! / not bothered if its not a Canon lens.

What's out there? anything in that budget?

If i do get an EF 50mm 1.8, whats the difference between that and the EFS 50mm. Any issues putting an older lens like that on a T3i or is it just plug and play?

Any advice or recommendations much appreciated

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Correct.  If you need much of your subject and its surroundings all within focus, then using wide apertures would command a much further shooting distance.  Of course that will then mess up your framing (subjects may now be too small within the frame).

Even if going with an EF 24mm f/1.4L,  at 1.25 meters, depth of field would be 14 cm.  Around 5 1/2 inches.  So still quite shallow.

I'm with others on the lighting; that will give you the most flexibility.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

There is no EF-S 50mm prime, there is an EF-S 60mm macro which might be interesting for you.

(Researching for this shows that it appears that the EF-S 60mm Macro is no longer listed on Canon's site. Bummer!)

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Just be careful if going with the EF 50mm f/1.8.  If the distance to your subject will only be 1.25 meters, the depth of field at f/1.8 will be 4 cm.   Thus, if you need more in focus, that's not going to work for you.

--
Ricky

Right. (scratches head) ok so I'm assuming if I were to film from further away then this wouldn't be such a problem .. but I can't film from any further away due to space constraints ... So what you're saying is ... better for me to just get more lighting? because any lower aperture lens is going to cause similar problems?

I would think adding some additional lighting would be both more effective, and cheaper, than buying a fast aperture lens. 

A fast aperture lens like a 50mm f/1.8 is going to have a shallow depth of field, long working distance, and cost more than a simple lighting system. 

Mike Sowsun

Correct.  If you need much of your subject and its surroundings all within focus, then using wide apertures would command a much further shooting distance.  Of course that will then mess up your framing (subjects may now be too small within the frame).

Even if going with an EF 24mm f/1.4L,  at 1.25 meters, depth of field would be 14 cm.  Around 5 1/2 inches.  So still quite shallow.

I'm with others on the lighting; that will give you the most flexibility.

--
Ricky

Ok thats great advice, cheers for the explanation, makes perfect sense.

Announcements