cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to perform hyper focus with Canon EF 11~24mm F4 L USM ?

Dianoban
Enthusiast

I have been using Sony a7II and many vintage primes for shooting landscapes.  Recently, I interested in Canon EF 11~24mm F4 L USM, attracted by its abilities of the ultra-wide abiltities.  I have a very serious problem.  I do not know how to set the lens for hyper focusing when I shoot land scapes.

How to perform hyper focus when shoot landscapes with Canon EF 11~24mm F4 L USM, please ?

Thanks.

Dianoban

12 REPLIES 12

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Is this hyperfocal distance?

With a landscape?

Usually this is needed for pictures with great depth where you want your foreground and background to be as sharp as possible.

Tell us about your use case, shooting scenario or subject. Maybe the term you are using isn't what I'm referring to.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Greetings,

Is this hyperfocal distance?

With a landscape?

Usually this is needed for pictures with great depth where you want your foreground and background to be as sharp as possible.

Tell us about your use case, shooting scenario or subject. Maybe the term you are using isn't what I'm referring to.  

Thank you.

Yes. It is hyperfocal distance.

Yes. Landscape is what I am thinking about.

I have been using five vintage primes, 55mm~20mm, on Sony a7II for shooting landcapes.  Usually, I rely on hyper focal marks on these lenses.  

Interested in buying a Canon DSLR & the ultra wide 11~24mm F4 L USM lens. There is not hyper focal marks on this lens.  Yes, I can guess, based on the experiences of usung a 20mm lens.  But I feel a bit nervous. 

Appreciate your help.

Dianoban

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Get a hyperfocal distance calculator - possibly for your phone - put the lens in manual focus and set the distance on the scale.

You will find that for a wide angle lens, it will probably be just a few feet in front of you. 8^)

@kvbarkley wrote:

Get a hyperfocal distance calculator - possibly for your phone - put the lens in manual focus and set the distance on the scale.

You will find that for a wide angle lens, it will probably be just a few feet in front of you. 8^)

This is the best course of action.  Look it up on a Depth of Field table, chart, or app.  As noted by someone up above, it will be a very short distance.  I use my manual focus Rokinon 14mm at f/5.6 a lot.  I dial in the hyperfocal distance, and everything beyond 2-3 feet is tack sharp.3DC3741F-96FA-4F81-9F81-62142CE5E451.jpeg

Notice the bush on the right.  I could reach out and almost touch it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

This is the best course of action.  Look it up on a Depth of Field table, chart, or app.  As noted by someone up above, it will be a very short distance.  I use my manual focus Rokinon 14mm at f/5.6 a lot.  I dial in the hyperfocal distance, and everything beyond 2-3 feet is tack sharp.3DC3741F-96FA-4F81-9F81-62142CE5E451.jpeg

Notice the bush on the right.  I could reach out and almost touch it.

Thank you.

This is what I am going to do.  Use manual mode, f-stop 8~11, I assume everything in the range of 0.5M~infinity would be acceptable sharp.

Thank you and thank you everyone for your kind assistance.

Dianoban

Manual mode is not needed unless you just like it.  This is a case for Av mode, far more easy.  Set Av mode and set it to f8 (whatever) and choose a respectful ISO. Let the camera do the rest. The lens can stay in AF, too.   You can focus on a closer object then lock focus, recompose, and take the shot.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@kvbarkley wrote:

Thank you.

Yes.  You are right.  For ultra wide lenses, maybe no need to rely on hyper focal marks or hyper focal distance calculator.  Everything is acceptably sharp or clear from approx 1M to Infinity in my landscape images if I shoot with my 20mm lens & set the aperture at f8.  With any ultra wide lenses such as 11~24mm, everything in the image range from .05M to infinity should be acceptably sharp or clear if the lens is set at 12~14mm & F8.  This is only guessing.  It seems that there is no need of any hyper focal marks.  But I feel unease.

Tanks for help.

Dianoban

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

For example, this page:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/doftable.html

Shows that at 20mm and f/4 the hyperfocal distance is 4meters. Set the distance scale there and everything from 2 m out will be in focus!

@kvbarkley wrote:

For example, this page:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/doftable.html

Shows that at 20mm and f/4 the hyperfocal distance is 4meters. Set the distance scale there and everything from 2 m out will be in focus!

Thanks for the link.

Dianoban

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements