cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with recommending the best lens for street portraits

Court41
Contributor

Hello:) I am new to the Canon community and just starting my photography journey. I have read so many different opinions on the best lens. Need help with what others truly recommend. I have been shooting a lot of street photography or outdoors with my subjects but want to get a good lens finally! I am looking for something for street portraits and indoors. I’m torn between the 3 most common . The “nifty fifty” , the 85mm or the 24-70mm. I have read so much I don’t know what would be best. I need a lens that would work for outside portraits for those beautiful shots and also inside for possibly natural or low light. Help please as I am a newbie:) thank you! 

20 REPLIES 20

Carrying case for sure and yes have a tri-pod. That baby is pretty heavy 🙂 thank you for all your help! 

If you're using a tripod. Attach the lens tripod collar to the tripod. Do Not attach the tripod to the camera body. If you're not using a tripod. your left hand to support the lens. NEVER rely on the lens mount to support the weight of a lens. As a general rule always support the lens with your left hand. Especially with telephoto and super telephoto lenses. Do you have thus tripod collar below. 

213591-1987663_02.jpg

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thankfully with this deal I got it came with a collar and hood and cap:) I hold onto the lens with my left hand like it’s a newborn 🙂 

rs-eos
Elite

A 24-70mm f/2.8 lens (be sure it's f/2.8 for better low-light performance) would be the single best lens amongst the three you listed.   On your crop sensor camera, this gives field-of-view equivalents of 38mm to 112mm.  The former being a very good focal length for street photography and the latter end being good for portraits.

In addition though, I would recommend the 50mm f/1.8 due to the very low cost and better low-light capabilities.  It would let in at least four times the amount of light as your current 18-55mm lens.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thank you for the help. I truly appreciate you breaking down the differences. There is so much to learn! 🙂

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Ok here is your answer from what you said so far the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is your "best" choice. I know you got a similar lens with the T7 but the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is a whole different animal. Much better built, much better IQ and it is a constant f2.8 aperture (<-- super important). Your kit lens is none of those. It will handle all of what you listed if a single lens can handle it. Of course all camera/lens have their limits and it is possible to reach them with any combo. If I were you I would avoid primes, single focal length, lenses altogether. They are way too specialized when compared to a zoom.

You can sell the kit lens you have to help pay for it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I appreciate the knowledge you helped me understand. I can not say thank you enough:) looking forward to hopefully someday being as educated and experienced with the Canon camera 🙂 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"A 24-70mm f/2.8 lens (be sure it's f/2.8 for better low-light performance) would be the single best lens amongst the three you listed."

I, personally, would avoid that lens on a T7. Not that I wouldn't love to have it because it is a fantastic lens, but the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens has a more T7 friendly FL range.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

For example if you were shooting at 200mm. When we do the math 1/200 x 1.6= 320. So your minimum shutter speed would need to be at least 1/320th of a sec or faster to avoid camera shake."

Keep in mind this is a guide not a law. Lots of people can shoot teles at very much slower SS with great success.

EB

This was just a guide for the OP. Since the OP is new to photography. So they may have not used a telephoto lens. When I was new to shooting with a telephoto lens I used to see camera shake. But I can shoot at a slower shutter speed now. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
click here to view the gallery
Announcements