cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard to mount EF 40MM f/2.8 on T2i

JC24
Contributor

Hello all, new to the community, not so new to cameras.

I recently purchased a EF 40mm for my T2i, though putting it on it seems the mount has much more resistance compared to my 18-55. Fearing I might damage it, I've set it to the side for now. Any suggestions on what to do?

-JC

9 REPLIES 9

PajamaGuy
Enthusiast

On my T6s, I find the EFs lenses mount easily, but my EF-85mm has noticeably more resistance/tightness when mounting.

It's one question I plan to cover with tech support...

PJ

PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"

Canon wants my lens back - they agree there shouldn't be a difference.  Additionally, they want to check the excessive purple fringing.

PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Any suggestions on what to do?"

Something is wrong.   I have never noticed any different in the mounting of EF vs EF-S lenses.  Do you have a reliable source to check it otu?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Please don't interpret a basic first question as being insulting because it is basic, but to get it out of the way, you are aligning the RED dots and not the WHITE one?  

The EF-s lenses go in turned to the white dot, but EF lenses go in aligned to the red dot.  If you have gotten used to mounting EF-s lenses, and this is your first EF lens, perhaps you are attempting to insert it at the white dot instead of the red one.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Red dot. No worries, no offense taken.

Too busy to check out a nearby Canon shop until probably 2 weeks from now...leaving for a European trip on the 7th though. Problem is, if I were to ship it back to Amazon and send a new one, that would take too long.

Stephen

Hi JC24!

Welcome to the Canon Community Forums!

We don't normally step in like this, but since there is a sense of urgency due to your upcoming trip, we'd highly recommend calling our US-based technical support team by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666). They have every model camera and every lens (seriously). The agent will be able to physically get an EOS Rebel T2i and an EF 40MM f/2.8 out and see if it is hard to mount on the one we have, and if it is "normal," or an anomaly. Either way, they'll be able to give you sound advice on what your next steps (if any) should be! 

We hope this helps!

Thank you, Stephen!

JC24
Contributor

I've contacted Canon USA, and the representative had another guy try out the lens-The fitment is tighter than usual, so the representative said it should be alright.

Announcements