cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Overall Lens for EOS Rebel T6

RaeDr
Apprentice

Hi new here!

I’m planning a trip to Dubai and envisioning wonderful photo opportunities. I have a Canon T6 but I wanted to know what would be a good all around lens? I will be traveling with children so I don’t think I will be switching out lenses like that. Looking for tips to get the most out of my camera in this trip.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The EF-S 18-135 is a good walking around lens. Fairly wide at the wide end and a pretty good telephoto at 135mm. It is what I always use on my T6S.

View solution in original post

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Although the 18-135mm is a nice lens you will be paying about $600 bucks to get 56 to 135mm or about 79mm additional focal length that will be of somewhat unknown usefulness. You already have the 18-55mm lens that came with your Rebel, right?

I might suggest a real difference maker is a totally better lens with better IQ and way better low light performance.

The ultimate Canon lens for the Rebel and xxD series camera, the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens

"Is the lens also good for portrait shots? Bokeh? I’m assuming it would be good for landscapes and architecture, ..."

Portraits, yes it will do portraits.

Bokeh, lightyears better than the 18-135mm

Landscapes, yes

and architecture, yes.and may be better if the available light isn't the best.

Yeah it is a few bucks more that a 18-135mm but the best usually is.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The EF-S 18-135 is a good walking around lens. Fairly wide at the wide end and a pretty good telephoto at 135mm. It is what I always use on my T6S.

Thanks for this! Is the lens also good for portrait shots? Bokeh? I’m assuming it would be good for landscapes and architecture, right?

thanks for the help 😊

https://kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/18-135mm-usm.htm

Should be good for anything - but it is not an L lens!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Although the 18-135mm is a nice lens you will be paying about $600 bucks to get 56 to 135mm or about 79mm additional focal length that will be of somewhat unknown usefulness. You already have the 18-55mm lens that came with your Rebel, right?

I might suggest a real difference maker is a totally better lens with better IQ and way better low light performance.

The ultimate Canon lens for the Rebel and xxD series camera, the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens

"Is the lens also good for portrait shots? Bokeh? I’m assuming it would be good for landscapes and architecture, ..."

Portraits, yes it will do portraits.

Bokeh, lightyears better than the 18-135mm

Landscapes, yes

and architecture, yes.and may be better if the available light isn't the best.

Yeah it is a few bucks more that a 18-135mm but the best usually is.

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Food for thought.

Be aware that both of the suggested lenses, EF-S 18-135mm and EF-S 17-55mm, will give you excellent image quality. But, both lenses are a little too large for the onboard flash. They will block some of the light from the flash, casting a shadow into the frame. It is even worse when using a lens hood.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for this input. I’m wondering if this will be something more of an issue when taking photos in a desert climate? Thinking about lighting concerns …

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If lighting, low lighting in particular, is a concern the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens will always win. The onboard flash is a non-issue because if you need a flash, you need a real flash. The on-board flash is next to useless with any lens.

EB
Announcements