cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus ring on 18mm-55mm loose

Jadee
Apprentice

I recently invested i getting a 18-55mm lens for my Canon EOS 70D. It was working fine until I tried putting on a fisheye/macro lens attachment; when i took the attachment off the focus ring on the 18-55mm lens was loose and now it will not focus Cat Sad

Please tell me there is an easy way to fix this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try this:

Take the lens off of your camera.

Put the lens in MF mode.

Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.

Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.

Put the lens back on the camera.

Put the lens in AF mode.

Turn the camera on.

Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.

Take a test photo.

Good luck

Never mount anything to the front of that lens again.  It is wrought with problems and a very little return. The add-on lens is junk so treat it as such. Deposit in the round file!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ray-uk
Whiz

Check to make sure that you haven't moved the switch on the side to MF (manual focus).

And throw that fisheye/macro adaptor thing away they are useless things.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try this:

Take the lens off of your camera.

Put the lens in MF mode.

Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.

Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.

Put the lens back on the camera.

Put the lens in AF mode.

Turn the camera on.

Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.

Take a test photo.

Good luck

Never mount anything to the front of that lens again.  It is wrought with problems and a very little return. The add-on lens is junk so treat it as such. Deposit in the round file!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements