cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel XS Sports Lens Recommendations

Krisyk
Apprentice

I have the Canon rebel xs and I want to find a lens that does well with sport pictures. Specifically football, which is difficult as I'm sooo far away from the field. I have no idea what type of lens would fit, or if there even is one as this camera is a bit older. I understand I need a telephoto lens but outside of that I'm totally lost. Anyone have any suggestions? 

14 REPLIES 14

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Your camera requires EF or EF-S lenses. RF, RF-S & EF-M are not compatible with your camera these lenses are specifically designed for mirrorless cameras. How far are you sitting are you in low light conditions. IE indoor sports or are you outside with plenty of light.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Outdoors. First half of game has sun light, second half has stadium lighting. Sanding about 35/40 yards away. 

Do you use the camera in full auto. Also do you know what is called the exposure triangle. Do you have a budget to spend on a lens. Most if not all of Canon's telephoto lenses are designed for Full Frame/ 35mm Film cameras. Which measures 36x24. Your Digital Rebel has an APS-C size image sensor. Which measures 24x16 which is 1.6x smaller than 35mm film. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

I go back and forth between auto and manual depending on what I'm shooting. I do not know what the triangle is. I have a moderate budget. I understand these can get quite expensive,  but I have time to save up between now and mid August to buy it. 

Can you please list a dollar amount you can spend. What exactly do you mean by a "moderate" budget. Look into videos on YouTube. Teaching the relationship of the exposure triangle. Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed have a direct impact on your picture. Learning how these 3 settings impact your pictures is important. Most sporting arenas prohibit flash photography. I recommend looking into any of the Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8 IS series lenses. Make sure it's the F/2.8 IS (Image Stabilized) version of the lens. Canon also makes an F/2.8 non-IS (non Image Stabilized) version too. IS reduces camera shake. A wide aperture allows more light to reach the image sensor. Thus reducing high ISO and slow shutter speeds.

-Demetrius

For me moderate means like 200/300 of spendable money right now, but if I budget and save I could go up to like 500/600. I thank you for your help. You've given me a TON of valuable information. I will definitely look into watching the videos you've suggested.  Thank you. I appreciate your time. 

Most variants of the 70-200mm F/2.8 IS lenses cost more than your stated budget. Used copies start off around $900. The newest version of the 70-200mm costs 2K brand new. So these lenses aren't cheap by any means.

-Demetrius

Are you saying you're around 40 yards from an edge of the field itself?   If so, even with 200mm, it may not be enough zoom.

e.g., say you are positioned at the side of the field (around the 50 yard line), but 40 yards away. If the players are right at the edge that you're closest to, this is around the size they will be in photos taken with your camera using a 200mm lens:

apsc_200mm_40yds_fov.jpg

If the players are now near the other side of the field (still around the 50 yard line), they'd be quite small:

apsc_200mm_90yds_fov.jpg

And if they are near end zones, they would be smaller.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There is really only one option for you and that is one of the 150-600mm super zooms. Keep in mind they are big but not too difficult to handle and do require you to use good shooting technique. Forget any advice to get a 70-200mm as it will be way too short. However your very best option is to get on the side line where you can move about and follow the action.

"For me moderate means like 200/300 of spendable money right now, but if I budget and save I could go up to like 500/600."

This is probably not possible for an lens that can offer you anywhere near your goal. However, there is the used market and lots of Mom's and Dad's that have gone through this football stage and find they no longer need the big lens. Sometimes you can find them for a really good price. Try before you buy but they are pretty tough lenses and do well on the used market.

You might want to check out a monopod.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements