cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R lens recommendations

Munari
Enthusiast

I have a Canon EOS R and want to buy a a zoom lens, something like a 28-100 that has the Red Lens ring that will allow control of ISO.  

is it more practical to buy an EF lens and a RING converter than an RF lens?   I also have a T7 EOS that the lens could be used with, but that is not that important.  I am just trying to save some money.  

I want to use the lens for general photos of items that I appraise for individuals such a tools, equipment, fixtures, household items, collectibles etc.  

I would appreciate suggestions and offers of lens for sale for my R.  The R, according to my experience is difficult to change the ISO unless the lcd is opened and I prefer using the eye piece.  

old fashioned I guess.  I thank you in advance.  
Gene

4 REPLIES 4

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

ALL RF Mount lenses have a control ring on them. Some have a separate control and manual focus ring. Other lenses have a combined manual focus and control ring with a switch on the lens. To set focus or control as needed by the user. Do you mean the RF 24-105mm F/4IS USM lens or the RF 28-70mm F/2IS USM lens. Canon hasn't made a 28-100mm lens in the RF Mount.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

I agree on the EF lens, I should find a good RF lens. I am just looking for the most practical lens for my R.  I do need a zoom and I do want the ability to change ISO and other settings from the ring....all suggestions are welcome.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Demetrius, I'd like to add some comments.

The red ring the OP is referencing is a distinction Canon uses to identify its "L" series lenses. This is a designation for Canon's professional lenses.

Demetrius has identified the best lens according to your criteria.  RF 24-105 f4.  This carries Canon's "L" designation and is in the FL 24~105mm.  It has a constant aperture of f4 throughout its focal range.  Its control ring can be assigned to change aperture on an R series body.  It cannot be used on your T7.  At this point, since you already have an R series body, and are looking for Control Ring programmability, I would not recommend investing in any more EF / EF-S lenses.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"The red ring the OP is referencing is a distinction Canon uses to identify its "L" series lenses. This is a designation for Canon's professional lenses."

Yes I understand Rick that's why I didn't mention non-L in my post. I also know that ALL RF lenses feature a control ring that can programmed for anything such as aperture or ISO for instance. I also agree on you with NOT investing in older EF & EF-S lenses. No adapter is needed for native lenses and it cuts down on complexity if something fails.

For the OPFor the OP

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Announcements