cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF better image than RF on R6, Normal?

Pauly_6_String
Enthusiast

Hello all.  I just took some test shots to compare IQ with a few lenses at 100mm. Wanted to see how the Viltrox EF-R2 affects IQ if at all.

I used a variety of lenses, RF 24-105, EF 24-105 (1st gen), RF 100-400, Tamron EF 70-200 2.8 G2.

The EF 24-105 was noticeably better than the RF 24-105.  Should that be the case? At f/4 it was way better at the sides. At f/8 both improved but EF was still a touch better.

2nd question, the EF image shows a touch more of the subject. Is that just the fact that that adapter places the lens a bit further from the sensor?

Thanks

22 REPLIES 22

Pauly_6_String
Enthusiast

the f4 pics the EF is on the left but on the f8 ones the RF is on the left.

When you took these images, were you using a tripod that did not move in any way, or were they shot hand-held?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

tripod with 2 second timer

OK, thank you...  well, my impression is that the RF shows definitely softness relative to the EF at f/4 but looks sharper at f/9.  What would suggest to me there is an optical issue in the RF lens - possibly, one of the elements is out of alignment.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Pauly_6_String
Enthusiast

Pauly_6_String
Enthusiast

Thanks for taking a look.  I just re did some shots and perhaps I wasn't so steady after all.  This time I used remote instead of pressing shutter and RF gave sharper results.

However I am surprised by how well the older lens performs. 

Pauly_6_String
Enthusiast

This time around RF showed better IQ over EF. I'll leave well enough alone and know that either lens will work very well for my purposes.

Thanks 

It may have been just an isolated focusing issue.  Really, the important thing is does it render results sufficient for your needs?

cheers, TREVOR

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I used my EF/RF adapter briefly in June.  R5 C / Sigma 24~70 f2.8.  Seemed to work well in photo mode and OK in Cine mode.  This week I've been using it with a 70 ~ 300 USM II.  Its been super smooth.  

The Viltrox R2 is now discontinued.  While it is FW upgradeable, I'd stick with Canon's adapters $99/$109 for the control ring.  I also looked at the Meike since it included ND filters, but in the end went Canon.  While I do really like my Sigma 24 ~70, my RF 24 ~70 tops it since it now includes IS and is lighter. 

@pauly_6_string, If you plan to keep the gen1 lens, send it to Canon.  It sounds like its life before you might have been questionable.   It will be cleaned, calibrated and come back in tip top condition.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

All good advice. I ditched the Viltrox for a Canon with the control ring. Worth it to have it perform and be supported. Couldn’t get the Viltrox firmware done on my Mac even with a virtual machine. 

Just not sure what to do. I have a 7D Mk II that I’d like to keep as a second body for sports shooting. Do I need two 24-105’s?  Last game I used the 7D with the 24-105 for close range and the R6 with a 100-400 (don’t know how long I’ll be able to hold off an upgrade) for longer shots. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements