cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS not focusing in P mode and others

cafrost55
Contributor

I have tried doing the steps given to correct the AF on my 18-55mm zoom lens AND tried the go "here" in the reply (which gives an error message.  I hear no clicking sound and seems to rotate manually on the focus part when off the camera.  Sadly it's not focusing AT ALL in the P or other mode.  It doesn't automatically turn at all.  I can manually turn it to focus on MF to focus it tho.  I'm not familiar that much with camera's and I love this one and use it ALOT!  Please help me figure this out...  I would appreciate and email.

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You did this? 🤔

Put the lens in MF mode.

Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.

Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.

Put the lens back on the camera.

Put the lens in AF mode.

Turn the camera on.

Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.

Take a test photo.

If you did it exactly like I outlined and it did not fix it, the lens is probably broken. It is not a good candidate for service as you can replace it for about the same cost.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I did all that.  When I turn it, it turns easily both ways but I never hear any kind of click when I turn it all the way in either direction.  Thank you for responding.

Yes.  I did that.  No correction.

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Which version of the EF-S 18-55mm do you have. If you remove the lens cap from your lens it should say the entire name of the lens. If your lens says STM on it the focus ring is electronic. The shutter button must be pressed down halfway for manual focusing ring to work.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

canon zoom lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

In response to: canon zoom lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

It would appear from your description (which I assume is taken from the front element of the lens), given there is not reference to STM markings that you are using a geared lens.  It seems more and more that the gearing is not working.  The processes that Ernie (ebiggs1) suggested would normally be the correct ones for a self repair if the gearing mechanism has got out of alignment.

Honestly, given the nature of the issue, I suggest you visit your local camera store and get them to look at the lens - they are in a position to manipulate the lens in a way we cannot, and they can give you a definitive diagnosis and potential solution.

The 18-55 lens is a standard kit lens and not expensive to replace.  If it does require replacement, then I strongly recommend you getting the STM version, which has no gears and can work in manual mode while still having the AF mode selected.

If you do replace the unit, you may also want to consider a lens with a different range.  The 18-135mm STM has excellent optics and a vastly wider zoom range.  It too is a kit lens and there will be heaps of them available second hand.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

If it's within OP's budget the EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 IS USM is also a great option. especially for low light.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Hi Demetrius:

It is a great lens, but at a much higher price point and I suspect that will be outside the range of the OP.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Since OP mentioned "P Mode and other modes (creative zone)" could the camera be set to back button focus. via the AF-On or * button. Back button focus doesn't work in A+ Mode or the (basic zone).

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

Announcements