cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF-S 17-85mm repair possible and possible cost

kevinh
Contributor

A Canon 17-85mm IS lens I just traded for has developed the infamous "Error 01" problem where it will not operate in aperture priority mode

Yes, cleaning lens contacts makes no difference, and the lens has been checked on two Canon DSLR bodies and shown the same error. A dim viewfinder hints that the aperture blades are stuck.

The unnerving part is that I tried to set up a repair request online, I could not accomplish that. Instead I got this message:

Product Repair

For further assistance, please contact our Customer Support Center during regular business hours.

Contact Information for Inquiries
Canon Customer Support Center

Unfortunately, that's a hint that the lens can not be repaired by Canon.

So, I have a few questions which may or may not be answerable: does anyone know how much a repair on this lens may cost, and if Canon can not handle the repair is there anyone who can?

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Canon have a limit on the time within which they will service lenses and I would not be surprised if they decline to service this one.  You may find third parties willing to do the repair, but it could well be a case that the cost is more than to get a replacement unit.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

A good working used EF-S 17-85mm  is around $200+ bucks. So, that pretty much limits how much you can spend to get your fixed. It is s pretty nice lens so a worthwhile one to have. Try Midwest Camera Repair. They will give you an estimate. Keep in mind shipping and insurance costs too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements