cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 70-300 with new EOS 90D body?

drawson
Apprentice

I just purchased a new  EOS 90D body.  I know that my EFS lenses will work with that body.

I also have an older EF 70-300 lens.  From what I can find on-line, it looks like this lens will also work with the new 90D - can someone confirm that?

Thanks!

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Yes the 90D will take both EF and EF-S lenses.  Not sure which version you will have - there are 4 such, but they are all good lenses - here is my article on them: 70-300 Canon Lenses In-Depth Analysis - Canon Community

Like any lens attached to a crop-sensor APS-C body, the Field of View: i.e. what the combination of lens + sensor will record is going to be changed from what is written on the lens: thus your 70-300 combined with the 90D sensor will render a FoV Equivalent to 112-480mm on a full-frame sensor camera.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Yes the 90D will take both EF and EF-S lenses.  Not sure which version you will have - there are 4 such, but they are all good lenses - here is my article on them: 70-300 Canon Lenses In-Depth Analysis - Canon Community

Like any lens attached to a crop-sensor APS-C body, the Field of View: i.e. what the combination of lens + sensor will record is going to be changed from what is written on the lens: thus your 70-300 combined with the 90D sensor will render a FoV Equivalent to 112-480mm on a full-frame sensor camera.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

drawson
Apprentice

Thanks!

FYI, I have the "MkI" version of the lens - it has definitely provided some great results over the years.

It got a bit of flak for some of its quirks, but I actually liked it and it served me for quite a long time.  As you may have seen it is a capable optic IMHO.  The MkII is an improvement, but it's a lot later model and it was discontinued after only a few years in favour of RF glass.  I still retain the L version, it's a brilliant optic and works well with my R-series bodies, and I still shoot with DSLRs from time to time.  I can also use it via an adapter on my Fuji X-T4 and it does a good job there too!

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements