cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II dropped

alkncrossman
Apprentice
I dropped my lens and it will still work in manually focus, but not in auto focus, estimated fix is $1200, any other things I can try. There is no visual damage
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

First of all, let me state my condolences, remove my hat, bow my head, and offer a moment of silence for your cherished lens..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't let anyone repair it, except for Canon. 

No one can diagnose the extent of physical damage sight unseen.  They can only speculate and make educated guesses.  Your cited estimate is a big pill to swallow, but I suspect that it is a worst case estimate.  Only you can decide whether or not the cost to repair is a worthy investment.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@alkncrossman wrote:
I dropped my lens and it will still work in manually focus, but not in auto focus, estimated fix is $1200, any other things I can try. There is no visual damage
Thanks

The lens is still current, and I think you'd have a hard time finding one in operable condition for $1200. So I think I'd let Canon repair it if I were you.

I'll put it to you this way: My copy of that lens belongs to the city government for which I work. I'm retiring next week, so I'll have to give it back. If I knew where to get another one for $1200 that had just been worked on by Canon. I probably wouldn't tell you. Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

alkncrossman
Apprentice
Well I ordered this lens from the US, I live in Canada. My father paid for it as a last gift before he passed away, so it's very special. It was $3000. I had purchased a new Canon 70D and this lens unattached and fell to the floor. It has to be fixed, I was just looking for a cheaper way as $1200 is a lot to add when you already paid $3000.

@alkncrossman wrote:
Well I ordered this lens from the US, I live in Canada. My father paid for it as a last gift before he passed away, so it's very special. It was $3000. I had purchased a new Canon 70D and this lens unattached and fell to the floor. It has to be fixed, I was just looking for a cheaper way as $1200 is a lot to add when you already paid $3000.

$3000?!! Even in Canadian money that seems pretty high. [A well-known New York camera store that the moderators probably won't let me name] has it for US $2000 new. As I mentioned, I'm about to need one, but I'm waiting for it to go on sale. I think I saw it for $1800 a few months ago.

It's very important to make sure that any lens is fully latched and that you don't hold the camera in such a way as to accidentally push the release button. We've heard several complaints recently that the release buttons on certain cameras (though not, so far, the 70D) are too easy to push.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"It has to be fixed, I was just looking for a cheaper way as $1200 is a lot to add when you already paid $3000."

Right off you paid too much for it in the first place but that is water under the bridge.  It's done so forget it.

I am a fellow that has had several 'dropped' lenses over the years.  It is just a hazard of the job.  It happens!

$1200 is cheap for the repair if you consider what nightmares that can happen if a shop repairs it with less than the utmost precision and parts. Bite the bullet and send it to Canon along with $1200 bucks.

"It has to be fixed,,,," This says it all.  Doesn't it ?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@alkncrossman wrote:

Depending on the exchange rate when the lens was bought $3000 Canadian was likely not 'too much' as others have said.

As for paying $1200 in a addition to the money you already paid, well you dropped the lens, that is on you.

You could look into filing a claim on your home owners insurance that would bring the cost down if you have a typical $500 deductible. 

When was the lens bought? When did you register it? Canon was offering free carePAK+ Accidental Damage Protection from Canon on products purchased between May 1, 2016 and July 31, 2016 and registered within 30 days of purchase.

While hindsight is 20/20 there are a number of companies that offer insurance you could have purchased for what happened to your lens.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements