cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 70-200mm f/2.8 not focusing when I need it to

Nateb
Apprentice

E64143B5-F959-45A4-AD27-526E30FC6151.jpeg

 I’ve just bought the lens mentioned above. I was able to test it out this weekend on an old rebel t7. I use it solely for sport’s photography and many times, the athletes will not be in focus despite taking up most of the frame. The picture included should have the settings used but incase it doesn’t: ISO 100, 153 mm, 0 ev, f2.8, 1/125 0s. I’m also using continuous shooting and AI servo. 

10 REPLIES 10

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Have you tried using One Shot AF. One Shot AF has focus lock so the camera won't take a picture if its NOT in focus. AI Servo will take pictures regardless of the picture being in focus OR NOT. Also what version of the 70-200mm F/2.8L are you using Canon has released 4 different versions over the years. Also try stopping down the aperture to F/4. At F/2.8 the background will have a lot bokeh contributing to the out of focus pictures. Also what mode are you shooting in on the mode dial ie (M, Av, Tv, P or Full Auto)

• EF 70-200mm F/2.8L USM (Non-IS model original 1995-Present)
  • EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM (1st Gen IS Model 2001-2010)
  • EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II USM (2nd Gen IS Model 2010-2018)
  • EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM (3rd Gen IS Model 2018-Present)
-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

I would use one shot except for the nature of sports I need to be taking several so that I don’t miss a shot, rather than trying to try an time it. And it is the image stabilizer lens, IS. 

So you have this lens EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM am I correct with saying this. Or is it a newer versions with an updated IS system. The problem is you'll miss shots with AI Servo. That's because the camera will take pictures even IF there NOT in focus. There is NO focus lock in AI Servo so the camera will continue to take pictures. Also DON'T use AI Focus its a hybrid between One Shot and AI Servo. The camera starts out in One Shot then will switch to AI Servo if the camera detects subject Movement. But the problem is that the detects camera shake as subject movement therfor switching to AI Servo. Also what Mode are you shooting in on the top mode dial (M, Av, Tv, P, Full Auto or Fully Automated Modes). Also try stopping down the aperture to F/4. At F/2.8 the background will have a lot bokeh contributing to the out of focus pictures. Especially with it bright outside. How is AF setup is it setup with a half press of the shutter button. Or are you using BBF by using the "AF-ON" or "*" to start AF.

-Demetrius
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM

I checked the metadata attached to this picture. Are using the Rebel T5 or T7. The metadata reports that Rebel T5 was used. But you report that the T7 was used instead. Also the metadata reports that you used AI Focus. Is this correct so far.

-Demetrius

T5* sorry. You are right I have been looking at the R7 all week and must’ve got them confused. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Nateb wrote:

E64143B5-F959-45A4-AD27-526E30FC6151.jpeg

 I’ve just bought the lens mentioned above. I was able to test it out this weekend on an old rebel t7. I use it solely for sport’s photography and many times, the athletes will not be in focus despite taking up most of the frame. The picture included should have the settings used but incase it doesn’t: ISO 100, 153 mm, 0 ev, f2.8, 1/125 0s. I’m also using continuous shooting and AI servo. 

What shooting mode on the top dial are you using?  

The shutter speed you cited is way too slow for sports and action photography.  You need to be at least 1/800 for most field sports.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

What the OP is saying and the metadata aren't matching up. They say there using AI Servo with 1/125th sec SS. But the metadata isn't matching what they're saying unless they posted the incorrect metadata by chance.

Screenshot 2023-06-11 123835.pngScreenshot 2023-06-11 131016.pngScreenshot 2023-06-11 131055.png

-Demetrius

He appears to be using Green [A+] shooting mode, which is not as suitable for action photography as a couple of the other shooting modes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I do agree with that. But the drive mode is set to Continuous shooting. Which can't be set in the basic zone on Rebel series cameras or on my old EOS 40D and my mom's old Rebel XSi. Then the metadata reports Tv mode too.  I don't know why exposure Mode says "Auto". Then beneath of it says Exposure Program Shutter PriorityI don't know why exposure Mode says "Auto". Then beneath of it says Exposure Program Shutter Priority

-Demetrius

Announcements