cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 70-200 2.8 L IS II USM focus not working

beas3010
Apprentice

Hi, I have a 13 year old EF 70-200 2.8 L IS II USM that I haven't used for years.  Just got it out, and the focus is not working. Manual or AF.  When I press the shutter release partly, it makes a whirring sound that makes me think that it's spinning while not engaging.  Camera body is 60D and works with other lenses.  Ideas on repair needed?

Update: Put the lens back on the body, and it started focusing normally.  AF working.  Then, after several minutes of testing, it stopped focusing again.  Tried again taking off and on, but did not focus again.

6 REPLIES 6

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Does the Aperture setting display in the viewfinder. Put the camera in Av Mode and set a small Aperture like F/11 or F/16. Then press the depth of field preview button to see if the lens stops down. The viewfinder should significantly darken.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't see where messing with the aperture will accomplish anything.

However this is one of the very few times I recommend you clean the lens contacts. Use a q-tip and some alcohol and gently rub the golden contacts. If this doesn't fix it, there is little else you can do. Generally mounting and removing the lens is all that is needed to keep the contacts clean but you said it had sit for an extended period. 

Professional repair is an option.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It could point to faulty communication between the camera and lens. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

A Q-tip might leave fibers; found this when I built custom fishing rods. Another thing is to use the foam makeup applicators. I would clean them first with DNA or 91% isopropyl alcohol. The regular alcohol has a large % of water.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First a camera and lens is not a fishing rod. Second  91% isopropyl alcohol removes oils, adhesives, fingerprints, soldering flux and other contaminants, making it ideal for cleaning electronics. I suppose you mean denatured alcohol by "DNA" which is deoxyribonucleic acid a generic marker carrier. At any rate denatured alcohol it is more a solvent and isopropyl is more a cleansing agent. Either will work but there's no need or benefit form using denatured alcohol.

Stick with the q-tip and gently because less is more.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you using Silent Shutter mode?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements