cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 28-70 L Error: "Communication with the device is faulty"

Cholt
Apprentice

Hello! I have a Mirrorless R6 with an adapter and an EF 28-70 L. It was working fine, then this error popped up…”Communication with the device is faulty. Check the camera, lens, or mount contacts.” I tried to use it with another Canon camera and it shoots 4-5 shots then the error message pops up again. I’ve cleaned it, not sure if I need to just send it in to get fixed. It’s the older model so not sure with cost of sending it in if it would be expensive. Thoughts? #lens 

10 REPLIES 10

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:

What brand adapter are you using to convert the lens to your R6?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks for the quick response! It is a Vello adapter. I have had the same adapter since I got my mirrorless a couple of years ago. Maybe time for a new adapter? I’ll have to try that. What I really want is a new version anyways.🤷🏽‍♀️

There are documented issues with 3rd party adapters, especially with older lenses.  I would always recommend using a Canon EF-RF adapter. You can get them at a reduced site from the Canon Refurbished site.  The fact it works with some does not mean it will work with others.  If in doubt see if you can try one at your local bricks and mortar store and if it works buy it from them in appreciation.
As my experienced colleague Ernie said, getting your lens fixed is unlikely if it is an issue with the lens itself - either for parts availability or cost-benefit.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks so much!

Actually the adapter works fine with my other EF lens…

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I need to just send it in to get fixed."

Send it where? If it is an early model it probably is out of service life at Canon. Private shops may and can be able to fix it if it is a lens issue. Two things to check, the adapter and try it on a different camera preferably on a DSLR.

I generally do not recommend this but get some 92% alcohol and a q-tip and clean the contacts on the lens. Not likely to help but its easy and almost free to do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the quick response. I will try that but yes, it’s the first model. Both of my cameras are mirrorless at the moment so it’s not an option to try with a DSLR. I’ll try the alcohol….

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The DSLR would eliminate the adapter so it is ashame you can't do that. Is it a Canon brand adapter? If it is not it is probably the problem. Also make sure there are no filters or lens attachments, nothing, on the lens. It needs to be just the bare lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It’s not a Canon brand but I’ve had it for the last couple of years and it has worked with all of my lenses. This is the only lens I’m having a problem with. My other two EF lenses work just fine with this adapter.🤷🏽‍♀️

Announcements