cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Cracked lens

Jamiefisch7
Apprentice

Hi guys, it looks like the first outer layer of my lens has been cracked, does anyone know how much this will cost to fix? It’s just the most outer glass layer. Does canon provide repair options for something like this? 

image.jpg

23 REPLIES 23

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This argument has gone on as long as there have been lenses. To use a protecto filter or not. I am in the camp of using them on every lens that can use them. There really is no downside. However most of the time folks forget that a filter screws off as easily as it screws on. If there is a certain situation where the protecto filter could interfere with the shot simply remove it. Replace when done.

A lens hood is good. But the thought that a lens hood comes anywhere near as close to the protection a filter gives is just silly. The  fact that some Canon L lenses require a filter to achieve full protection should tell you something. They don't require a hood!

"Even though the optics and coatings are pretty tough, I would rather sacrifice a clear filter over the primary objective if it came down to it."

I don't know if I subscribe to the lens coating being "pretty tough" but this is just common sense advice. Keep in mind if the lens coating is damaged for whatever reason it can not be replaced or repaired. And the lens coating is a key part of any lens.

Now here is the deal would I put a protecto filter on a $100 dollar 50mm nifty-fifty lens? Probably not but would I put a $50-$60 dollar protecto filter on a $1000 or $2000+ dollar L lens? Darn right but it's your choice makes no difference to me. Now the next argument you will get is, "I've has my super Canon L lens for 20 years and never had a problem with the front element getting hit or cracked or damaged in any way."  Yeah well, you're lucky or you don't use your gear very often and you wound up saving a bout $2.50 per year on not buying that extra protection. Do you apply that same theory to life, fire or auto, etc., insurance? Hopefully none of us ever need any of those either.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I've learned so much from you guys over the years!

Pro tip: don't try to shoot fireworks with a "protective filter" on your lens 🤦

Heartbreak and devastation will be assured:

Stephen_0-1679844782194.png
Virginia Beach, 4th of July 2012. Rebel T2i 18-55mm lens with a UV filter. Enough said. 😂

@Stephen wrote:

...Pro tip: don't try to shoot fireworks with a "protective filter" on your lens 🤦

And don't photograph a rainbow with a Polarizing filter! 😁

@ebiggs1 wrote:

...I am in the camp of using them on every lens that can use them. There really is no downside....

I'm in precisely the opposite camp! 😀 And I see several down sides.

While I have high quality, multi-coated UV filters available to fit my lenses (well, at least all the ones that accept screw-in filters), I ONLY install them when the filter is actually needed... .which isn't very often.

I used them a lot more when I was shooting film way back in the 20th century. A lot of film was overly sensitive to UV light, so the filters were needed. But today with digital there's little to no concern about UV. Sometimes this type of filter can be useful in scenic shots, when there is a blue haze in the distance. But most often they're now just used "for protection".

Instead of "protection filters", I rely upon lens hoods (almost always when shooting) and lens caps (always when stored). I think it's pretty silly to think a thin piece of glass will provide any meaningful "protection" to a lens.

In fact, lenses are a lot tougher than most people think. In most cases, it takes a lot to damage them. What would shatter a filter will leave the lens unscathed. However, I have seen used lenses damaged by broken filters... when sharp shards of glass were driven into the front element. I've also seen filters stuck on lenses, with the frame bent so badly the filter had to be removed with a saw or a Dremel.

Some people think a filter means less cleaning. I think it means more. I bought a used lens from a guy who swore the UV filter had been on it since brand new, never removed! It was about 6 or 7 years old. After I removed the filter there was a haze that needed cleaning off both the front element of the lens and the rear surface of the filter! Adding a filter means three surfaces to keep clean, instead of one. Granted, the rear surface of the filter and front of the lens won't need as frequent cleanings... but still will need them occasionally.

Will filters effect image quality? Usually good, multi-coated filters won't. But there are exceptions. I was shooting an event where there was a lot of strong back lighting and had several photographers helping. Knowing the venue and what can happen, I asked them to remove any filters from their lenses. One guy ignored me... The result was 1200 images with significant flare problems! Often it was veiling flare and a green tint in parts of his images. I retouched some in Photoshop (should have made him fix them), but ended up having to trash most!  

Besides that, there's a downside of cost. I have five or six different sizes of filters in my kit. It adds up when you need that many.. And, no, step rings are not an option. They preclude using most lens hoods, which become even more necessary when a filter is installed (to protect the filter 🙄}! Because they were lower priority for me, I gradually added UV over the years rather than buy them all at once.

In addition, I don't like stacking filters any more than necessary.... It can cause vignetting issues. So when I go to use a Circular Polarizer (a MUCH more useful filter with digital) and there's already a UV on there I have to remove it first. Same if I want to use an ND filter (the only other type I carry now... though only in sizes for certain lenses because they're pretty specialized). .

Yes, I install filters occasionally "for protection"... when it seems appropriate. But I don't often shoot paintball battles, volcanic eruptions or go out shooting in sand storms! Probably the most common time I use them is when shooting at the shore, because "salt air" is hard to clean off of optics. I'd rather wash it off a filter than off a lens!

It's a hot topic on all the photography blogs... whether to use filters or not. There really isn't much proof one way of the other... little to show a filter was effective "protecting" a lens... and it is mostly only low quality filters that have negative effect on images, should be avoided. Few people have really done any testing.... but it can be interesting... or good for a laugh... when they do:

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

I never use UV filters.  Unless I need to use a ND or CPL filter, I have a clear filter attached.

I also use low profile filters (B+W brand).  The only time I ever stacked them was when needing both a CPL and ND. No vignetting was experienced though.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

“ While I have high quality, multi-coated UV filters available to fit my lenses (well, at least all the ones that accept screw-in filters), I ONLY install them when the filter is actually needed... .which isn't very often.

If all of my filters were UV filters, then I would never use one.  UV filters are obsolete hardware when it comes to digital cameras.  They’re never needed.

I think the argument that “protective filters” are only used for protection against bumps and bangs is woefully narrow and short sighted.  That is not why people use Clear filters, not at all.  

Like I pointed out above, “the hood is all you need” argument just as narrow.  The hood on my 16-35mm is not going to protect it from any bumps and bangs.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Stephen, Stephen you had to know you will now get hundreds if not thousands of examples of fireworks that were shot with protecto filter intact and inplace!

fireworks.jpg

EB

hehehe 😉

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

You guys crack me up.  🤣

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

You guys crack me up.  

OK, but as long as you only get your filter cracked up and not your front element cracked up.

EB
Announcements