cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS Any useful disposition for a damaged lens?

finral11
Apprentice

I have a damaged Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS lens (the i not the ii). It dropped off my strap (attached to the camera) and landed on the lens hood, but some bending moment has jammed the zoom ring and slightly bent the lens mount. The joint where the zoom ring meets the barrel section that is attached to the mount is visible not perpendicular. I used insurance to replace the lens with a used copy, so I'm fine on that front, but I still have the damaged lens. Canon doesn't list it as being available for repair (presumably because its discontinued). Is there anything better than throwing it in the trash or listing it for parts only on ebay or mpb?

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If you intend to keep the lens, contact midwestcamera dot com and see what kind of estimate they can provide.  Otherwise you can visit KEH, lensrentals, etc and purchase a replacement used.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

normadel
Authority
Authority

There are other used dealer you can try....UsedPhotoPro, KEH are two. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Turn it into a coffee mug. Any repair of an obsolete lens that is that damaged is very unlikely to be cost efficient.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements