cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 24-105mm f/3.5.-5.6 IS STM - zooming feature very tight physically

madmax713
Apprentice

I bought an EF 24-105mm f/3.5.-5.6 IS STM. When I got it, the zoom was so tight that it was difficult to zoom smoothly when trying to shoot a video. It caused me to have jerky videos. I was quite surprised because the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM I used zoomed smoothly and effortlessly. I understand that zooming smoothly is one advantage of an STM lens. I called Canon Technical Support but they could not give me a definitive answer because they had an18-135mm in-house available to try but not a 24-105mm. Can anyone who has an EF 24-105mm f/3.5.-5.6 IS STM tell me if very tight zooming is typical of this lens? Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@madmax713 wrote:

I bought an EF 24-105mm f/3.5.-5.6 IS STM. When I got it, the zoom was so tight that it was difficult to zoom smoothly when trying to shoot a video. It caused me to have jerky videos. I was quite surprised because the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM I used zoomed smoothly and effortlessly. I understand that zooming smoothly is one advantage of an STM lens. I called Canon Technical Support but they could not give me a definitive answer because they had an18-135mm in-house available to try but not a 24-105mm. Can anyone who has an EF 24-105mm f/3.5.-5.6 IS STM tell me if very tight zooming is typical of this lens? Thank you.

The tightness of the zoom varies from lens to lens. Lenses that aren't tight tend to creep or droop (change zoom by themselves when held at an angle). So generally people prefer lenses with a little bit tighter zoom so they don't creep.

edit: just do a Google search of 'EF 24-105 lens creep' to see how many people complain when the zoom on that lens is too loose. The EF 24-105 and similar EF 28-135 have heavy front elements and are prone to lens creep. So I'm guessing Canon leans on the tight side with the EF 24-105.

I appreciate your quick response. I don't mind tight, but very tight is a problem in video shooting which STM is supposed to enable. But its zooming characteristic is much tighter than my EF-S 18-55mm and my 70-200mm f/2.8 L lens, which I have use for many years. I feel as if I am in a strength competition while zooming in and out.

@madmax713 wrote:

I appreciate your quick response. I don't mind tight, but very tight is a problem in video shooting which STM is supposed to enable. But its zooming characteristic is much tighter than my EF-S 18-55mm and my 70-200mm f/2.8 L lens, which I have use for many years. I feel as if I am in a strength competition while zooming in and out.

If you don't feel the lens is right, exchange it or send it into Canon for service.

I appreciate your quick response. I don't mind tight, but very tight is a problem in video shooting which STM is supposed to enable. But its zooming characteristic is much tighter than my EF-S 18-55mm and my 70-200mm f/2.8 L lens, which I have used for many years. I feel as if I am in a strength competition while zooming in and out.

I have never used the EF 24-105mm f/3.5.-5.6 IS STM so I can't really say but I do think you should return it.  Most of these types of inexpensive, even more expensive, zooms are way too loose.  That's why most newer designs have the transport lock now.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements