cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L is II USM

RadioAndy
Apprentice

Hi All, 

I have a EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L is II USM on a 70D.  Today I noticed after it finished auto focusing I heard a small click.  I have not heard this before.  I have had this lens for a few months.  I believe it only happens when I have the image stabilizing on.

Is this normal?  Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Small clicks is not a normal characteristic of that lens. But, depending on your AF settings that could be normal. 

The fact that you say it only happens when you use IS might indicate there is nothing wrong, especially if you are using AI Servo focusing.  If the small clicks sound more soft scratching noises, as compared to a small tap, then you might be hearing the IS system adjusting AF motors as the system tracks whatever is under the active AF point.

If you are using One Shot focusing, it is normal to hear a quick purr of AF motors.  But once again, the motors sound more like  a whirring or scratching sound than a hard click, at least it does to my old ears.

If you are in doubt, contact Canon Support, and they can help you confirm or deny that there is an issue better than asking questions in the forum.  We are all simply users here [actually camera geeks, IMHO].  We share our knowledge and experiences, and are not employed by Canon.  Sometimes a Canon Forum Moderator might chime in on a post, when the community might get stuck on a question, but you can readily tell who they are by their signatures and avatars.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you have warranty left, you need to call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666 and document the case.  If not, forget it and use the lens until it doesn't work. A small click or other mechanical sounds can be normal.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

PLee
Enthusiast

That's sounds like it's from the IS unit working.

Announcements