cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know how to repair a Canon 28-70mm F/2,8 L AF/MF switch?

MTSCARTO
Apprentice

I bought a used lens version I of the Canon 28-70mm F/2.8 L and the screw brackets brackets were broken on the fixed barrel.  I bought a replacement part (YG9-0323-000).  This is the part with the AF/MF switch and the zoom window.  However, the new part did not come with the AF/MF switch or cable attached.  The old one should work, but I cant figure out how to remove it from the old part.  Does anyone know how to remove the switch from the fixed barrel?  Alternatively, does anyone know where I can buy a new AF/MF switch and cable?

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

My advice.  Call Canon, send the lens in for repair.  Get back a great lens and hopefully take some photos.  Its important to place value on your time. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

USCamera-dot-com sells replacement parts and pdf manuals. They may be able to provide what you need. 
Since the lens is not listed on the Canon service page it is likely that you will need a third-party repair shop. Folks on this forum speak well of Midwest Camera for repairs.  

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The old one should work, but I cant figure out how to remove it from the old part."

That is probably an indication telling you, you need professional service. Consider, how did this part get broken? If it was because of a fall or hit, the lens may also need calibration. Canon service will check out the entire lens not just replace the part.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements