cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon zoom EF lens 70-200mm won't lock on to my 1100d

Lenkian
Contributor

Hello. I have recently found my old EF 70-200MM lens and I was quite happy about it. But when i tried to mount it on, it didnt lock in. It only twisted for 5mm. The second pic shows how its in, the first shows how it should be (just inside the mount). It just stops. Keep in mind, a repair is not even an option atm, dont have any money

16588293568028382032752568056870.jpg

16588292398568330380617724653494.jpg

11 REPLIES 11

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If your other EF and EF-S lens properly mount on the camera than the problem lies with your 70-200mm lens.

Look closely at the mounting ring and look for any damage or dings. Compare with an EF lens that mounts correctly.

Some repair will be required if it is damaged, but it might be something you could do, like straightening a bent piece. But, be aware, if the repair is not perfect you might damage the camera. Balance that against recent luck of finding a lens you didn't know you had.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

My other lens is EF-S 18-55, works perfectly.

Hi! I'm not a tech, but to try to help the community help you, can you post some photos of the mount of your lens (where your lens connects to your camera). So everyone can see what it looks like. Also post a photo of the mount of your camera body. Please ensure you have adequate lighting so the photos are as detailed as possible. Thanks!!

IMG_20220726_152138.jpg

IMG_20220726_152132.jpg

Keep in mind, the lens can however spin backward, not lock in but just like hang there without falling out. Still far from being locked in tho

Can we see clear images of the markings around the front element (looking at the lens as if you were to take a portrait of yourself) and any other markings on the lens, please? 

The markings on the mount of the lens make me think this is an FD mount lens that has been converted. If that is the case, it may never be fully compatible with your EOS camera. More images will be helpful to determine this.

Nothing is really bent, i have been looking for the past 4 hours

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Are you sure that is a Canon lens? It doesn't look like one.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Since your other lens is an EF-S lens are you perhaps trying to install the 70-200 at the white square instead of lining  up the red dots?

Red dot should be directly below the "n" in Canon.

Screenshot 2022-07-26 132406.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I agree with Stephen, as I am not sure it is a real Canon EF lens. Photos of the front is required.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements