cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon refurbished lens looks used

scorpionv
Contributor

I bought a refurbished RF lens from canon online. It looks like more of a used lens than a refurbished one. I can return it but need to pay for shipping both ways! This being the case how can we trust Canon when they say refurbished? There is no option to see first and then buy? Have anyone been in this situation?

IMG_1870.jpeg

IMG_1871.jpeg

IMG_1873.jpeg

IMG_1875.jpeg

13 REPLIES 13

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I can see this is really othering you.  I'd send the lens back.  Even if it cost me to do so.  All of my refurbs have been exceptional.  I'd probably be disappointed if I received a lens in that condition.    

Refurbished Products

Products are returned to Canon for a variety of reasons, including overstock balancing, miscellaneous returns from retailers, suspected mis-operation, and minor damage to the box.  Products that are refurbished must pass a comprehensive quality assurance inspection before final packaging and shipment.  Rigorous function and cosmetic inspections are performed by trained Canon technicians so that each refurbished product meets operational specifications and strict cosmetic standards that we have established.  Browse the Canon Online Store's selection of refurbished products by clicking the Refurbished Products link in the Special Offers section of the Canon Online Store homepage.

I don't feel like that lens meets "strict cosmetic standards".  Maybe it does for some people, but not mine.  Some might consider that normal wear.  Bumps, nicks, a minor scratch or two.  It would bug me.  I'll bet the lens works great and would probably last you a life time.  I have personal standards and it sounds like you do too.  I normally buy my lenses new, but I would buy another lens or camera refurb in a heartbeat.  I recently purchased a flash.  It was perfect.  I think you were unlucky in this case.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  the term refurbished means that the lens is fully operational, not completely pristine necessarily."

I hate to sound blunt but that is entirely correct. If you wanted a new lens you should have bought a new lens.

The best option it to simply keep it and use it as I suspect it works as well as a new lens that is just a but prettier. If you use it, it will probably look used in time any way.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I don't feel like that lens meets "strict cosmetic standards"."

And that is an arbitrary statement. Two people will have two different opinions most likely. Again if new is what you want, or expect, then refurbs are probably not the way to go. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Have you looked at the asking price of used gear?  The Canon Refurb gear will often be priced at less than what some of the popular used camera dealers are asking for used gear with very high condition ratings.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
click here to view the gallery
Announcements