cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel T7 DSLR comability with SLR Lens

HokeyHokey
Contributor

I'm looking to get an EOS Rebel T7 DSLR camera, but I'm also looking to get a 17-40mm Ultra wide-angle lens, but the only Canon lens I can find specifically says it's for SLR cameras. Does that mean it won't work for a Rebel T7 camera?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The 17-40 is an old lens but a good one.  As John said, it will fit on your camera, just be aware that because your camera has a smaller sensor than a FF camera, it will actually provide a Field of View (what the sensor actually captures) equivalent to that of a 27-64mm lens - which is still wide angle (but not ultra wide angle), and will have a definitely narrower FoV than it would on a full-frame body.

To give you an idea, here is a photo taken with a similarly crop sensor body, the Canon D30 with the 17-40 at its widest.

CRW_0212.jpg

If you really want ultra wide angle, then something like the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USI is a very good lens, and on your body would produce a FoV of 16-35mm - which is ultra wide. Neither this, nor the 17-40 f/4 is stabilized.

If you are prepared to accept Another great lens in the same general range, and that is stabilized, is the excellent EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, (FoV 24-136mm) which offers an extremely versatile range and great optics.  No longer made, but you can get good ones second hand - I have a couple and love them! 

Again, to give you an idea of this lens' widest FoV, this image is taken with one on a Canon EOS 60D - same size sensor as yours.

NZ Auckland Muriwai Gannet Colony Sunset 07-1 (2).jpg

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Any lens that says it is compatible with Canon EF mount will work with your camera. The 17-40 lens was released back when film cameras were the standard. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The 17-40 is an old lens but a good one.  As John said, it will fit on your camera, just be aware that because your camera has a smaller sensor than a FF camera, it will actually provide a Field of View (what the sensor actually captures) equivalent to that of a 27-64mm lens - which is still wide angle (but not ultra wide angle), and will have a definitely narrower FoV than it would on a full-frame body.

To give you an idea, here is a photo taken with a similarly crop sensor body, the Canon D30 with the 17-40 at its widest.

CRW_0212.jpg

If you really want ultra wide angle, then something like the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USI is a very good lens, and on your body would produce a FoV of 16-35mm - which is ultra wide. Neither this, nor the 17-40 f/4 is stabilized.

If you are prepared to accept Another great lens in the same general range, and that is stabilized, is the excellent EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, (FoV 24-136mm) which offers an extremely versatile range and great optics.  No longer made, but you can get good ones second hand - I have a couple and love them! 

Again, to give you an idea of this lens' widest FoV, this image is taken with one on a Canon EOS 60D - same size sensor as yours.

NZ Auckland Muriwai Gannet Colony Sunset 07-1 (2).jpg

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I'd be using it for real estate photos, so would image stabilization be a priority in this case?

You can use a tripod for real estate shoots, so I wouldn’t consider IS a priority for that use. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Well, I will put it this way: one of the most renowned real estate photographers in the US, Scott Hargis, uses a Canon EF17-40, but with a full-frame camera that will give an actual 17-40 performance, so to get the same FoV the EF-S 10-22 would give you that extra angle.  I have one, and it's a good lens.   Scott has some videos on real estate photography and has an excellent e-book available called Lighting Interiors - a very instructive read.

Like any ultra wide angle you need to make sure that your verticals are vertical - introducing tilt into images creates a sense of tension, and makes the wall feel like they are falling in on you, and you don't want that in real estate images.

Here are a couple of samples of the kind of thing I think you are looking for. Both taken with the 10-22mm @ 10mm (so FoV 16mm)

IMG_3003a copy.jpgIMG_2976a LR copy.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

So using a 10-22 with a rebel T7 gets you the same, or nearly the same, FOV as a 17-40 with a full-frame camera?

Yes.

cheers, TREVOR

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Any lens that says it is compatible with Canon EF mount ..."

Perhaps a bit more simple to understand is the lens will have "EF" or "EF-S" in its name. I.E., EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Lens. Or,  EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  BTW, the latter is a far better choice for your T7 and nearly the same price.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Any lens that says it is compatible with Canon EF mount ..."

Perhaps a bit more simple to understand is the lens will have "EF" or "EF-S" in its name. I.E., EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Lens. Or,  EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  BTW, the latter is a far better choice for your T7 and nearly the same price.

While Canon manufactured lenses will say EF or EF-S on the lens many compatible third-party lenses will not.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements