cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM, how many f/stops does it have

frankrbrannon
Apprentice

I'm trying to determine if this lens only has one f stop-2.8, or a range of f stops?  I know the new RF 600mm onky has one f stop (11), how abnout this lens?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Unless the lens is specifically marked as having a single (and constant) aperture, the aperature can be understood as follows:

For a prime lens, only a single value will ever be displayed and it will denote the widest aperature available.  The narrowest will depend upon the lens (e.g. f/16, f/22, f/32).

For a zoom lens, a single value denotes the widest aperature available across the entire zoom range.  The narrowest aperture will depend upon the lens.

For a zoom lens with two values, they will denote the widest aperature at the widest focal length and most telephoto focal length respectively.

For your specific lens, you can use f/2.8 throughout the entire zoom range.  The minimum aperature available is f/22

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Unless the lens is specifically marked as having a single (and constant) aperture, the aperature can be understood as follows:

For a prime lens, only a single value will ever be displayed and it will denote the widest aperature available.  The narrowest will depend upon the lens (e.g. f/16, f/22, f/32).

For a zoom lens, a single value denotes the widest aperature available across the entire zoom range.  The narrowest aperture will depend upon the lens.

For a zoom lens with two values, they will denote the widest aperature at the widest focal length and most telephoto focal length respectively.

For your specific lens, you can use f/2.8 throughout the entire zoom range.  The minimum aperature available is f/22

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'm trying to determine if this lens only has one f stop-2.8, or a range of f stops?"

It is mostly common for most lenses I know of to not list all their available F-stops in its name.

"I know the new RF 600mm onky has one f stop (11)"

This lens was made with a single aperture, not a common practice BTW, but the fact it is named the Canon RF 600mm F11 IS STM Lens really isn't because it has only one aperture setting.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements