cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 24-70 L fails to autofocus at 70mm.

00derek
Contributor

Canon EF 24-70 L fails to autofocus at 70mm.

5D MkIV body.

Not the same problem as losing focus at different focal lengths, which is well documented here.

With the lens set to AF, lens will focus at all focal lengths until I turn to the maximum magnification...fully counter-clockwise. This is on a tripod without moving the camera relative to the subject. In other words, at 24mm autofocus beeps, but going to the max it will not autofocus, even if I move the body slightly to put different objects in the path of the AF points.

If I turn the zoom ring clockwise, just slightly below 70mm, then autofocus works again. I don't remember this being normal behavior.

I cleaned the lens and camera contacts, but no improvement. In fact it does the same thing on a T3i body.

Any thoughts? I can live with it now that I know the workaround, but is it a defect?

cheers

11 REPLIES 11

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Which version of the 24-70mm lens do you have version 1 or 2. It sounds like the flex cable in the lens may be starting to fail.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

00derek
Contributor

version 1, not v2

The flex cable is on the way out. V1 of the lens had this problem.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

00derek
Contributor

Thanks!

Is it repairable if I send it to Canon - do they still do repairs?

No not anymore. You can send it to a 3rd Party for repair. Or look into replacement if the repair costs exceed the value of the lens.

-Demetrius

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

You would have to check with Canon to see if version 1 is still repairable, if not a third party shop could likely do so.

With the zoom ring set at 70mm, does manual focusing result in proper focus?  Hopefully the issue is electrical and not mechanical.

I am still using the 24-70 I bought back in 2005.  I have thought several times about grabbing the newer version but I am a bit concerned given the reported failures with it given that my current 24-70 has been perfectly reliable.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

00derek
Contributor

yes, manual focusing works fine

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Not sure if the v1 is still under repair support.  Register in your My Canon account to see support options.  If its not, you can contact midwestcamera dot com.  They are a authorized Canon repair agent and should be able to do this for you fast and reasonably.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

HDDENB
Apprentice

How does one know if the lens is v1 or v2. This focusing issue appears to be happening to my 24-70L (on a markiv5d) again. This happened while in France 2 years ago. I had it repaired, and now appears to be happening again now while in Portugal …:(

click here to view the gallery
Announcements