cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 90D auto focus setting for Canon 100-400mm IS ii lens

AdoNetok
Contributor

I just updated lens from Canon 400mm prime to Canon 100-400mm IS ii lens.

I use Canon 90D and AI Servo AF, single point focus.

Using Stabilization mode 3 for Canon 100-400mm IS ii lens.

After a week test, the photos I took are sharper then old lens but still not great.

I want to update customer function settings for auto focus. (C. Fn II).

Can experts help me set up?

17 REPLIES 17

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

What do you want to specifically change. Also what exposure settings are you using. If there too slow it won't help changing custom functions. So please post pictures in the forum.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

99% time I shot birds. I will stop ai servo and try single shot. 

I want to know what priority for first image and second image. Now I set up all is focus.

Please follow @ebiggs1 advice. Please post pictures too. To see if it's a technique issue or a setting problem.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

bird.jpg

Canon EOS 90D

ƒ/5.6 1/1000 371.00mm ISO1600

Has this image been edited?  is your image cropped?  If so, by how much?

Where is the locked AF point?  Either the camera can show you, or the Canon DPP application can show you.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I use Canon 90D and AI Servo AF, single point focus."

What are you shooting that makes you think you need Ai-servo? 90% of the time you don't need it and One Shot will work better and give better results. Try the same shots without using Ai-servo.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Using Stabilization mode 3 for Canon 100-400mm IS ii lens..  I use Canon 90D and AI Servo AF, single point focus."

How do you know that your settings and technique are not the issue?  Are you shooting handheld, or using some type of support like a tripod or monopod?  Why are you using Mode 3, instead of Mode 2?

I almost never use a single AF point with AI Servo.  If I do, then it is to shoot static scenes and subjects that are not moving.  I typically use a single AF point with One Shot AF, or one of the zone AF modes with AI Servo AF.

What settings are you looking to change?  Have you taken any test shots with a tripod to get used to how the lens behaves with the AF system in the camera?

What is it about the images that you are seeking to improve?  Can you post a sample image WITH exposure settings so that we can better understand your issue?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

AdoNetok you need to remember Ai-Servo shoots whether it achieves focus or not. One Shot on the other hand will not fire until focus is achieved and locked. For birds One Shot and just the center focus point which is put precisely on your intended subject will usually yield the best results.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements