cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D : 24-70 f2.8 vs 24-105 f4

dinorowan
Apprentice

Hi,

I'm a mostly event photographer, currently I work at an independent high school school in their marketing department doing a lot of their events, videos, etc. It's a lot of running around and good amount of low-light shots in their theater.

I recently purchased an 80D (upgraded from a 60D) and I absolutely love the low-light performance that the 80D offers. I'm currently using the kit lens (18-135mm) but now that I have the financial means, I wish to upgrade.

I'm drawn to the 24-70 f2.8 for the wider aperture, and the 24-105 f4 for the wider zoom range. I mostly use wider aperture for low-light situations (less about artsy bokeh etc), but I feel like the 80D's strength in low-light will be able to make up for f4 vs f2.8. I also like the wider zoom range of the 24-105 which will make it easier to cover events without having to switch lenses so much. 

I also have a 10-18mm wide angle lens that I love, so the slight wide angle loss going from 18mm to 24mm isn't a huge issue.

I'll be getting a video monopod very soon as well, and I have a 40mm 2.8 prime as well, but I don't use it that often unless for video interviews etc. 

Anyways, back to the 24-70 f2.8 vs 24-105 f4 for my 80D. Obviously a huge price difference between the lenses as well. But with the background I provided, what do you all suggest?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Now for the, not only correct answer but the best answer. Smiley Wink

My bag has been reduced to these three lenses.  They can do 99% of whatever event I ever, and want to, shoot.

Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens

I love this gear.  Highly recommend it.  These are the best lenses made.

Not wishing to spend that small fortune, here is a cheaper alternative and it is almost as good.

Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Lens for Canon

Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD Lens for Canon

Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Zoom Lens for Canon

The biggest difference you will see is the build quality.  The IQ is very close and may not be noticeable.

I have this gear so I know what it can do.

Don't waste any money or time on prime lenses.  They are too limited and more difficult to use.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

At least you are one who is smart enough to see the entire package.  The life of a lens in the hands of a guy like me that uses it day in and day out, where the photo is more important than the gear,...well you get the idea.

I just don't see the Tamron's and Tokina's and whatever lasting.  Some Sigmas, like the 150-600mil sport is as tough as any Canon "L".  So we will see.  Mine has already been tested.  Believe me, tested!

Treat a third party lens well and it will serve, I am sure of that.

EB

zimou13
Apprentice

Looking to upgrade my Sigma 24-105mm ART to a Canon 24-70mm F4 for my 80D. Mostly because of better IS, faster AF and it being more portable. Heard and read great things about its image quality on a crop camera, but I'm looking for personal experiences of users here. Plex Lucky Patcher Kodi Is anyone having problems with it suffering from focus shift (residual spherical aberrations)? How do you like the lens overall?

@zimou13 wrote:

Looking to upgrade my Sigma 24-105mm ART to a Canon 24-70mm F4 for my 80D. Mostly because of better IS, faster AF and it being more portable. Heard and read great things about its image quality on a crop camera, but I'm looking for personal experiences of users here. Is anyone having problems with it suffering from focus shift (residual spherical aberrations)? How do you like the lens overall?

It's the f/2.8 version of the Canon 24-70 that everybody raves about, not the f/4. And I think most most of the experience of those in this forum is with the f/2.8. The f/2.8 doesn't have IS; but most of the people who gripe about that do so on general principles, not because it really matters much.

Be sure to read the things we said to the OP last year. They're just as valid now as they were then.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

IMHO, "Looking to upgrade my Sigma 24-105mm ART to a Canon 24-70mm F4 for my 80D." that is not an upgrade.  I always, well most always, say go for the real deal Canon lens but this swap is not an upgrade.  It could be an equal trade off but certainly not an upgrade.  If you didn't already have the Siggy, OK, buy the Canon. If you want a real upgrade, buy the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens.

EB
Announcements