cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 55-250 mm IS STM zooming rattling sound

Jérémie
Contributor

I just bought a new 55-250 is stm lens and everything is working fine except that when I am in video mode and I am zooming, the lens makes a rattling/clicling noise that is picked up by the on board mic when shooting in a quiet environment.
The weird thing is that this noise is not there in picture mode when zooming, only when shooting a video and zooming together.
It is NOT the IS noise since I also hear this one (but it is really subtle) and when I turn IS and AF of, the rattling zooming sound is still there..

I am really bothered since I loved the lense, but ot is also supposed to be STM (silent). However I also have a 24mm pancake lense which is also STM, but it is making noise also in video mode, but this was a known issue and many people have noticed it, so I kept it.
Is it normal For the 55-250 (anybody also noticed it) or should I return it ?

Thanks

(my cmera is a Canon SL1) 

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I suspect that if you turn off AF it will stop making noises.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Jérémie
Contributor
I also tought it was the af, but I already tried this option, if I turn off AF and IS it is still there.

@Jérémiewrote:
I also tought it was the af, but I already tried this option, if I turn off AF and IS it is still there.

How are you making it zoom? I did not know that lens was capable of electronically controlled zooming. I thought you had to turn the ring by hand. It is hard to know what I am hearing, but it sounds like the focusing motors.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Jérémie
Contributor
I am manually zooming (turnig the ring by hand). Yes it really sound's like the focusing motor to me also, but should I hear them even if IS is turned off?
The image is blurry because I am filming trough a window.
If I do the same with my 18-55 IS STM, there is no sound when I am turning to zoom, but it is there on my 55-250. Maybe the mechanism is different and it is normal, but I tought it should be silent as the 18-55 IS STM.
I also have a ef-s 24mm STM which is not really silent and you can clearly hear in video, however this lens is known to make noise, even if it a STM lens.
But for the 55-250 IS STM I found nothing on internet about the lens being noisy.

First off STM does not mean it is silent.  It is just less noisy then the USM versions.  Yeah, probably way less noisy but it still it makes noise.

Yours sounds like something is wrong. It isn't the AF motor or IS motor.  What to do?  Either return it to where you bought it or call Canon support at 1 (800) 652-2666.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Stephen

Hi there!

Zooming and focusing are two very different things. When you physically rotate the zoom ring on any lens, the elements in the lens are going to physically move and make noise as they adjust. This has nothing to do with the STepping Motor (STM) focusing mechanism. 

Many people who need to get a tighter shot will zoom in, and then start their recording, rather than zoom during the recording. This will eliminate a visually jerky zoom and since the lens has already adjusted, you shouldn't have any unusual noises.

If this isn't an option for you, you'll want to look into our newer EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM and it's companion Power Zoom Adapter, PZ-E1. With this combo, you'll be able to zoom in/out silently with the touch of a controller on the side of the PZ-E1 or a remote control, more like a traditional camcorder. 

Jérémie
Contributor
Hi @Stephens
Yes it sounds like a good explanation, and it would justify why mos of youtube video test of the 55-250 don't zoom while recording. But I am wondering why would the 55-250 IS STM make noise if the 18-55 IS STM does not. Maybe the have different mechanism inside the lens.
I will try to go at bestbuy and hope that there is a camera with the same lens so I can check if it also makes the noise.

You've guessed right! 

With a combination of the electronic PZ-E1 electronic zoom mechanism controlling the lens both smoothly and from the inside (rather than externally via the zoom ring), the lens is able to zoom at a more consistant rate, allowing the camera to do its adjustments "on the fly," if you will, rather than all at once. The 18-135mm USM also has our new nanoUSM technology built-in, so it operates slightly differently than both the older standard DC motors, newer STM motors, and even the older USM motors. 

Here's a little video that will show you the lens and PZ-E1 in action:

Oh, and if you feel that your 55-250mm is making noise that it shouldn't, you might give support a call and have them do some troubleshooting, or even arrange to have your lens evaluated by our Factory Service Center.

Support is available weekdays from 8am to Midnight (ET) and Saturdays from 10am to 8pm (ET) at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666).

Announcements