cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 24-70mm repair

Ricki
Apprentice

My camera and lens and I went for a quick swim last fall. Luckily my camera is sealed and it didn't get damaged with the lake water, but the 24-70mm lens quit working. Does anyone know if Canon can fix or do something with it? The camera shop in  Roseville CA says since its electronic, the stuff got wet.

Any help would be appreciated. Im an amateur photographer just trying to make some memories for folks.

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Canon has not made a waterproof SLR, DLSR or Mirrorless body's to date.  Maybe with a housing, but not one that is swim proof on its own.  If your body got submerged and it still works at all, you are a lucky man lady.  I find it hard to believe.

If it were me, I'd replace the lens.  Why, because I suspect as it gets taken apart... (every single piece) that the cost in time and materials will exceed the cost of a new lens.  But you can always try.    

This is where it starts:

Canon U.S.A., Inc. | Service Request

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick!! PS, Im a lady 🙂

Noted and corrected.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You are a very lucky lady.....at least so far. Sorry to be a messenger of bad news but the water can do damage as time goes by. You did not mention which Canon camera you took for a swim. Some are pretty well weather sealed. Some have no weather sealing at all. (weather sealing, not waterproof)

I went through hurricane Ivan and might as well have taken a dive in a lake. But both my camera and lens as well as me survived! Canon will almost not touch gear that has gotten completely wet because of damage that is unforeseen and the cost to replace all the possible damaged parts.

If the camera is an important part of your life it is time to consider replacing both ti and the lens. And, no, I no longer have the hurricane Ivan camera and lens although it worked. My need is greater and not worth the risk.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi, Good Morning

I have the Canon 7D. Its still working 5 months later, so I feel blessed., I do have a back up Canon to use. I'm saving for the R5 or R6. 

Thank you so much for your input 🙂

Ricki

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Ricki the 7D is a wonderful camera and has a significant amount of weather sealing. Let's hope it worked! It was Canon's answer to a full on professional level crop sensor model. Very good cameras, I had two of them.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements