cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera bag/back pack for Canon 300mm F2.8 IS lens

limvo05
Rising Star

Now that I bought the 300mm F2.8 IS lens. I found myself a situation where it doesn't fit in my current Lowepro camera backpack. I was wondering if any has to do deal with such, and what would be your recommendation for such a bag that would allow me to carry my other gears and essential items for backpacking trips?

Thanks

26 REPLIES 26

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Normally, the lenses come with a hard case when sold as new.  These are more for storage and travel than actual use in the field.  A few manufacturers make "lens" backpacks for large primes.  The first brand that comes to mind is Think Tank Photo.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

LowePro makes many camera backpacks. Just go to their site and look for one that will fit the lens you are looking to carry.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

+1 on jrhoffman75's recommendation.

I have the Edge 250

https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/slingshot-edge-250-aw-lp36899-pww/

It will hold up to 200mm attached to your body...  300mm elsewhere no problem.  Has been to Europe twice.  Its comfortable and excellent.  Couple it with a Black Rapids Sport Breathe and you are ready for any adventure.

BandH has them for $60

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

+1 on jrhoffman75's recommendation.

I have the Edge 250

https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/slingshot-edge-250-aw-lp36899-pww/

It will hold up to 200mm attached to your body...  300mm elsewhere no problem.  Has been to Europe twice.  Its comfortable and excellent.  Couple it with a Black Rapids Sport Breathe and you are ready for any adventure.

BandH has them for $60

That seems way too small to me.  The lens needs a good 6 inches of depth to fit.  You will need at least 12 inches of length to fit with a body attached. If a bag can fit a "pro-DSLR body", then it could be deep enough for the lens. 

Thank you all for answering and providing recommendations.

The Lowepro Edge 250 seems pretty small to me. I have no doubt that is ould holds all of my gears without problems, however, I would seriously doubt that I can fit the 300mm lens in there.

I am looking for something that would allow me to carry the lenses along with some personal gears for a day hike kind of bag.

Have you heard of F-stop gear?

Thanks again.

I am still using the Lowepro AW II "Trekker" I bought back in 2005 and it easily handles a 1DX series body, 300 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, and converters.  The 300 with the lens hood reversed is quite compact.  Lowepro also makes packs designed specifically for long glass but you don't need that and most of those aren't well suited for carrying other stuff with the lens.

You can definitely find a good pack from Lowepro that will house your gear but don't just go for the biggest, find the size that fits your gear with a little space left over.  Unless you are going on very short hikes, the extra size and weight quickly becomes a drawback.  The right size is one where your gear fits in properly with careful planning for initial layout, not one that can be packed haphazardly because then you are carrying a bigger pack than needed.  Lowepro makes well designed products and will last you for a long time.  My AWII has been over many miles of trails in the Rocky and Smoky mountains along with shorter trips closer to home.  I often use the AW II along with a Pelican roller case when shooting sports.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@limvo05 wrote:

Thank you all for answering and providing recommendations.

Have you heard of F-stop gear?

Thanks again.

There is a wildlife photographer guy on YouTube that promotes the brand.  There is too much to buy.  You need to buy the camera module separately from the bags. The bags do not come with a rain cover, which must also be purchased separately 

I use Lowepro bags.  They used to have a large ProTactic bag, 600?, that would do what you need.  I do not see it offered anymore.  It had waist straps and a detachable module for gear that sat behind your head.  It was made long trips into the Wild.

It was probably far more than what you may need. There was a smaller version, which sounds like what Rodger has.  It was strictly gear.  Big bags get really heavy, really fast. I went for big, and had to downsize to something I could carry for a while.  I still have the big bag. It is storage.

Bags are tricky to buy.  If you buy the perfect bag on the first attempt, that would be very good luck. I have five, and I carry the three Lowepro bags the most

Yes, the 250 might be tight.  I did not realize the 300 was such a beast.  The upper compartment is 10in x 4.5 in depth.  The lens is 9.8in x 5.0in,  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The Lowepro AW II that I have is 15.5" x 12" and 5.5" deep although the depth could be easily stretched to about 6.5 since there is some slack for that dimension.  I have never tried to fit my EF 400 f2.8 IS II in this pack and it wouldn't be a good fit but the EF 300 f2.8 fits comfortably.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements