cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best fisheye lens

idanidan123
Enthusiast
I own the 70D and I already have two lenses. Which fisheye lenses would you recommend? I prefer lenses under 170$.
Thanks in advance!
12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@idanidan123 wrote:
I own the 70D and I already have two lenses. Which fisheye lenses would you recommend? I prefer lenses under 170$.
Thanks in advance!

I am not aware of any fisheye lenses in that price range.  You might find used lenses from Bower, Rokinon, Samyang, or another sister company name.  Canon doesn't even come close to that price point.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I buy my stuff through eBay, so that's the reason for the price. You can offer me a 200$ lens, that's okay too.

@idanidan123 wrote:

I buy my stuff through eBay, so that's the reason for the price. You can offer me a 200$ lens, that's okay too.

There are numerous posts from people in these forums expressing dissatisfaction with camera gear purchased through eBay, particularly used gear.  I would recommend a vendor like B&H, who is currently selling a used Bower SLY 358C 8mm Fisheye lens for Canon APS-C EOS Cameras.  It is a fully manual lens, no auto focus, no auto exposure, no auto aperture.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You might find a screw-on, add-on filter accessory for your current lens.  They are cheap and IQ is not good but they are well under your budget of $170.  Do a Google search for them. Otherwise save a bit longer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You might find a screw-on, add-on filter accessory for your current lens.  They are cheap and IQ is not good but they are well under your budget of $170.  Do a Google search for them. Otherwise save a bit longer.

This is a good suggestion, which does not mean that it is a good idea.  Many of the fisheye adapters are heavy.  As noted, the image quality of your lens will not be improved, but degraded to some extent.  The adapter will no doubt impact the ability of the lens to focus at certain distances and focal lengths.

I have been looking at one made by Bower VLB1658, which weighs in at 0.8 lb.  That is a lot of weight on the threads of your lens, hanging from the filter threads.  If the front of your lens rotates to focus, then that is a LOT of extra weight, which would only strain your lens AF motors. 

If you pursue this course of action, then I suggest that you only manual focus the lens.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You are in the wrong hobby.

Smiley Very Happy

EB

@idanidan123 wrote:
Thanks in advance!

Are you serious? You're off on yet another tangent? Are you actually interested in photography, or do you just enjoy asking questions and basking in the attention that they draw? A fisheye lens is a very specialized tool. And I have ever encountered only one (1) photographer who was able to use one in a manner that produced artistic results.

You now have a good camera and adequate lenses. If you really are more than just an attention seeker, you need to buckle down and learn how to use that equipment and stop fretting about equipment you don't have and don't need. There are a fair number of "photographers" who spend silly amounts of money on equipment they don't need and can't use, producing nothing sufficiently worthwhile to justify any of it. I sincerely suggest that you try not to be one of them.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Actually B from B, I was beginning to think the same things.

But one thing, "There are a fair number of "photographers" who spend silly amounts of money on equipment they don't need and can't use...".  Can't you have it just because?  No harm, no foul.

EB
Announcements