cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Way To Set Focus on Infinity?

wchettel
Enthusiast

I am using a Canon EOS Rebel SL2 with a Canon EF-S18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens. Is there an easy way to set the focus on infinity when I'm using MF mode on the lens? I just want to set it and forget it.

--
Walter
in Davie, FL
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

" I just want to set it and forget it."  " I occasionally like to take pics of the moon and stars ..."

That is one way to shoot nighttime stars. Set the lens to MF.  Use the widest aperture.  Focus in the day time on something you can see that is very far away and put a small piece of tape on the focus ring.  In the dark use your Liveview option to focus.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

BTW, there has been several 18-135mm lenses the current, 2016, model is the best.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

BTW, there has been several 18-135mm lenses the current, 2016, model is the best.

How do I determine which model I have? It is the EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens.

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

If you bought it after 2016 it is probably the most up to date version.  If you purchased it much after 2016 it is certainly the newest version. Is your lens the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens? Does it look like this?

canon_1276c002_ef_s_18_135mm_f_3_5_5_6_is_1455749513_1225878.jpg

Don't get me wrong this is a pretty good all around lens.  It is not a good astro lens. No matter what others have said. They simply don't know what they are talking about. No astro photographer would use it. For general use it is actually one of the better choices and the latest version is the best one yet. If I were in the market for a Rebel I would choose this lens over the standard kit lens every time.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

If you bought it after 2016 it is probably the most up to date version.  If you purchased it much after 2016 it is certainly the newest version. Is your lens the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens? Does it look like this?

Don't get me wrong this is a pretty good all around lens.  It is not a good astro lens. No matter what others have said. They simply don't know what they are talking about. No astro photographer would use it. For general use it is actually one of the better choices and the latest version is the best one yet. If I were in the market for a Rebel I would choose this lens over the standard kit lens every time.

The STM and USM versions of the lenses have identical optics, 16 elements in 12 groups.  Even the predecessor to these [two] lenses has the same optics, 16 elements in 12 groups, including one UD element and one aspherical element.

The only difference between the lenses are the AF motors.  The accuracy of the  autofocusing improved with each AF motor system, but the optics remained the same.  When you manual focus on the stars the differences are irrelevant.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Yes, it is a Canon lens, but it's the STM version, not the nano USM version. I bought it a few months ago from Amazon. This is my lens.

ef18135lens_3q_675x450.jpg

Also, I am NOT an astrophotographer! I'm just a casual picture taker that likes to take a pic of the Moon or stars every once in a while. Here is a pic of the Moon that I took with a Panasonic Lumix FZ80 that I had before I got my Canon Rebel SL2.

P1000288e1.jpg

Thanks for your feedback!

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

" I'm just a casual picture taker that likes to take a pic of the Moon or stars every once in a while."

In that case the lens is perfect for you.  Enjoy and shoot away! Smiley Happy

EB

@wchettel wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

How do I determine which model I have? It is the EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens.

The "STM" in its name indicates that it's one of the newer "stepping motor" lenses. It's an optically good lens, but its main claim to fame is that it focuses very quietly, which is important if you're shooting sound video, Even its "manual" focus is done electrically, which puts some people off. But it is considered a good lens overall.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I don't own this lens or any 18-135mm but I believe the USM is the newest.  Right, wrong?  To me it would be the prefered model.

EB
Announcements