cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are older 1990 EF lenses compatible with new EOS Rebel SL1 body

HankTheTank
Apprentice
I recently unearthed my EOS 650 film camera purchased circa 1990, along with 3 EF lenses (50mm, 35-105mm, 100-300mm), all in perfect condition. Would those older lenses be compatible with a new EOS Rebel SL1 body?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Also thanks to ebiggs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@HankTheTank wrote:
I recently unearthed my EOS 650 film camera purchased circa 1990, along with 3 EF lenses (50mm, 35-105mm, 100-300mm), all in perfect condition. Would those older lenses be compatible with a new EOS Rebel SL1 body?

Yes as long as they are genuine Canon lenses those EF lenses are compatible with all EOS cameras.

Any likely autofocus issues?

@HankTheTank wrote:

Any likely autofocus issues?

Due to manufacturing tollerances there is always the possibility of slight front or back focusing of any lens camera combination.

Front and back focusing can be more noticiable on digital cameras since when you are viewing a photo on your computer screen at 100% it is the equivelent  to looking at a poster size print from 18 inches away. These focus variations probably wouldn't be noticable in an 8X10 print, or even if you are viewing the entire photo on a digital display.

Other than that the lenses should perform just as well on the SL1 as they did on the EOS 650.

Thank you TTMartin.  Much appreciated

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Hank,

The key word here is "EF".

"... with 3 EF lenses (50mm, 35-105mm, 100-300mm), ..."

As long as you have the EF in the naming convention, they will work.  As pointed out, newer EF lenses may be better but the older ones will still do and be as good as they ever were.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Also thanks to ebiggs.

Announcements