cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Canon lenses compatible with other EF mount cameras?

jimbe0
Apprentice

I'm looking to buy my first pro camera but don't have the budget for a new lens. I have an amazing EF mount lens for my eos rebel t2i. I'm thinking of getting a black magic pocket but since the lens has a digitally controlled aperture I'm worried that if I use it on a different brand I won't be able to adjust the exposure without changing ISO or shutter speed.

Does anyone know if a canon ef lens would work on other cameras?

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

They claim compatibility with EF lenses and have an active lens mount to control lenses.

Screenshot 2023-03-08 085206.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

All EF Mount lenses use an electronic aperture control. Never a mechanical aperture control. In fact the EF Mount is 100% electronic. There is no mechanical interface that includes autofocus. If the camera has an EF Mount the lens will work. I am NOT sure about EF-S lenses. On the Black Magic Cinema cameras. I think that there Full Frame not APS-C. Thus making EF-S lenses incompatible.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

It would be best to consult the blackmagicdesign spec sheets and forums for specific questions.

Having said that, what specific lens do you have? If it's EF, it would work.  If it's EF-S, it may work.  The blackmagicdesign gear that has an EF mount are both using a Super 35 sensor which is very close (but not exactly the same) as APS-C like your T2i uses.  So it's possible that an EF-S lens could lead to strong vignetting in the corners.

Super 35 would be around 26.2 mm by 13.8 mm.   Whereas APS-C would be around 25.1 mm by 16.7 mm.  So while an EF-S lens could cover the height of a Super 35, it's a tad shy of covering the full width.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

This thread is SPAM.  SPAM, or malicious link posted in the OP's signature.

shadowsports_0-1678460860731.png

Visits on 3-8 creates post

Visits again 3-10 adds link

shadowsports_0-1678461015299.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for calling this to our attention.  We've taken care of the links.  In the future, be sure to use the dropdown arrow at the right side of the post to select "Report Inappropriate Content" and we'll deal with it as needed.

yancha67
Apprentice

I'm looking to buy my first pro camera but don't have the budget for a new lens. I have an amazing EF mount lens for my eos rebel t2i. I'm thinking of getting a black magic pocket but since the lens has a digitally controlled aperture I'm worried that if I use it on a different brand I won't be able to adjust the exposure without changing ISO or shutter speed.

Does anyone know if a canon ef lens would work on other cameras?

Any Canon EF lens will work on any Canon camera with an EF mount.

Your T2i has an EF-S mount so you can use EF-S lenses as well.

I'm wondering if this is SPAM.  A different profile posted word-for-word the same question two days ago.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Its SPAM.  Waddizzle and I discussed it briefly the other day. (he noticed it)

Seeing an influx of generic "harmless" looking posts, then the user adds a signature with SPAM, malicious or harmful links.  Its a way of adding links without triggering an edit or attracting attention.

Here is the other post..  notice the link in the sig.

shadowsports_0-1678460567759.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements