cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Canon Lenses for Trip to Southern Utah

VivianII
Apprentice

We are traveling to southern Utah in a couple of days.  I own the following Canon Lens but am limited as to what I can bring.  Which of these lens you take?

Canon EF 50mm 1:1.4

Canon Zoom lens EF-S 10-22  1:3.5-4.5

Canon Zoom lens EF 28-135mm  1-3.5-5.6 IS

Canon Zoom Lens Ef 70-300 mm1.4-5.6 USM

Canon Zoom Lens EF-S 17-58 mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM (I’ve always felt this lens a little soft.

Canon Zoom Lens EF 70-200mm  1:2,8 IS II USM ( Probable my favorite lens the only draw back is the weight.

Sent me a note in the next few days stating your advice and why.  Any help in making me decision will be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Are you saying you can have only one lens? If that is true the Canon ef 28-135mm IS without question. I have that lens and although not a stellar performer it is a very good lens. Its an oldie but goodie. "What camera?", doesn't matter I still would choose the Canon ef 28-135mm IS. However, snice you have ef-s lenses I suspect a Rebel.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What Camera?

For the Canyonlands you want a relatively wide angle, so I would include the 10-22.

I would take the 10-22, the 17-58 and the 70-300 (for wildlife)

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Are you saying you can have only one lens? If that is true the Canon ef 28-135mm IS without question. I have that lens and although not a stellar performer it is a very good lens. Its an oldie but goodie. "What camera?", doesn't matter I still would choose the Canon ef 28-135mm IS. However, snice you have ef-s lenses I suspect a Rebel.

EB

Ummmm...the OP could also have  EOS 20D-90D, 7D.

Possibly, just a guess but it doesn't matter the lens choice remains the same.

EB

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Allow me to chime in here. A few years ago, my wife gave me a backpack that holds small items as lens brush, lens wipes, etc. It also holds my T7 body, three lenses (listed at the bottom except for the 150-600 obviously), batteries and charger. However, as other things are accumulated, I now use an old camera bag from days gone by. Even have room for more lenses. Does it ever end?

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

OldSchool4_now
Contributor

Personally, for me, the 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM lens...! If you have a 1.4X extender or can afford a perfectly good used one at fraction of the price, that's what I choose, especially if your heading for the eclipse! Now, if your going for the Canyons, landscape, rock formations etc., I agree with "ebiggs1" if you only want one lens, however, I'd still say get a 1.4X! I've been in this business my whole life, a CANON guy from day ONE and again if you can ONLY take one lens, my 1st choice I stated, next would be what I listed. Have FUN and enjoy!!!!

Announcements