cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70-200 f2.8L photos too soft

uptheirons
Contributor

I am facing IQ issues with all photos I am capturing with my 70-200 on a 5dm4. Even when mounted on a tripod under good lighting conditions, I can't seem to get crisp photos. They come out pretty soft. I am not sure if its my technique or if there is some issue with the lens. I've never had any luck with this lens since I bought it but I always attribted that to my T2i. I sent it to canon for repair few months back and they told me there is dust on the glass and the mount has scratches, which I think is total BS as I hardly used the lens.

Even after coming back from the "repair", I still get very soft pics. I will test the lens for front and back focussing to see if that's the reason, but sometimes I seem to be getting ok shots. I am not sure if I am expecting too much out of this lens. Reading online many people attest to the quality of the lens. May be I got a bad one.

Any suggestions on how I can make sure its not the lens that defective?

Link to some raw files - https://photos.app.goo.gl/mXL3rNktA21e1f2P8.

Thanks!   

16 REPLIES 16

OK then you are not actually viewing at 100% pixel level.  That was my point.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

uptheirons
Contributor
True. Not sure what I was thinking.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The link you have does not contain any Raw files.  Just jpg with all the exif data stripped.

What exactly do you see wrong with this shot?

8B6A1720.CR2.jpg

It looks pretty darn good ot me.  "...they told me there is dust on the glass ..." Unless it is severe, dust on the lens will not reduce IQ.

"Any suggestions on how I can make sure its not the lens that defective?"

If your lens took that photo, there is nothing wrong with it. You might let me have a look at the actual Raw file.

EB

uptheirons
Contributor
I agree. Some of the pics of my son shooting soccer ball had the focus in the front. So I suspected the lens was front focusing. I think the problem was that he was moving towards me and the camera had trouble locking the focus. I will perform more controlled experiments before concluding that’s it’s the lens.

uptheirons
Contributor
Just saw your previous post. I did upload the raw files but I think google photos converted them to jpg. How do I upload raw files on this forum? I tried that but the site complained that they are too big.

Yes they would be so that is out.  You need something like Dropbox.

However form the sample, I did get to see in PS, your lens looks just fine. Don't go beyond 100% in viewing.  That is a critical viewing level for sure. If you shoot Raw format none of your camera settings are applied to the Raw file.  Always do a lens correction and a small amount of sharpening.  Less is more. I always do a levels adjustment in PS, too.  But that is mostly it.

There are similar adjustments in DPP4.

EB

uptheirons
Contributor
I do shoot only raw. It’s possible google photos stripped out all the meta data.

Thanks for assuring me that the lens is ok 😃. This thing has been stressing me out.
Announcements