cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70-200 f2.8 hand held

jay968
Contributor
I have read conflicting opinions on whether or not it is ok to carry a 70-200 f2.8 ISII on a 6D or a 5D MKIII using the standard camera strap instead of supporting the lens first. Will this cause undo stress on the lens mount with either or both of these cameras? Does anyone know what canon recommends?
22 REPLIES 22

cicopo
Elite

That's how I do it & I don't remember any strap attachment points on that lens so how else are you thinking of doing it?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Many use a strap that attaches to the tripod socket on the lens' collar.

Agreed but if Canon thought it was too heavy for the camera's strap they would either put lugs on the lens & recommend using them or recommend the tripod collar sling style. That said the choice is yours re what you like best or trust most.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

It's not the strap that worries me. It's the lens mount. . By your logic it would be ok to let this lens dangle off a plastic mount Rebel. I don't think I would do that.
Even if you see no ill effects, a heavy enough lens can cause enough stress to throw a mount out of spec. I just thought that since this was a Canon site that maybe a Canon tech would know about this lens on a 6D or 5D.

My response was for cicopo.

I've never owned any of the Rebel bodies but I shoot radio control events & hang one or 2 bodies from their conventional straps for several hour a day, one body will have a 100-400 L IS, the other a 28-300 L IS or before that the old 35-350 L & before that a 70-200 f2.8 L IS. Bodies used have been 40D, 7D, 5D2, 1D2n, 1Ds2 & 1D4. To date no issues. Last fall I bought a 300 f2.8 L IS & it has strap lugs on the lens so I bought the strap & hang it that way.

You could go with a holster-style bag. The camera is better supported and is always at the ready. Probably a better solution than either traditional or sling-style straps.

cuda719
Enthusiast

I have a 70-200 f2.8 IS II on a 5D Mark III and I use a sling strap, and have for more than a year and never had any issues. Also had it mounted on a 7D with no problems for 2 years prior.

Does the sling strap support the lens or the camera?
Announcements