cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60-600mm lens + 3 extenders = Total focal length?

Okimar
Contributor

I'm a novice and completely confused after researching this question

Can anyone please tell me what the combined mm and magnification this with this arrangement on my Canon R?

20240529_234123.jpg

20240529_234607.jpg

23 REPLIES 23

According to this calculator:

Adding an extension tube to a long lens won't buy you much:

https://thingsupclose.com/tools/extension-tube-magnification-calculator/

And here is where Ken Rockwell puts two extenders on an R

https://kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/r.htm

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The tel-cons all add. Example if you have a 2x and you add another 2x you now have a 4x. In other words a 600mm lens plus a 2x = 1200mm. Add another 2x and it is 2400mm. add the third it becomes 4800mm.

I would say this is an idiotic, and it is, idea but I have done some idiotic things myself so if t floats your boat go for it. Giving up as many stops from an already rather slow lens is going to be interesting whether you can get a decent Moon shot. A far, by far better, solution is Photoshop from a native 600mm lens and crop it. Post you results, I wanna see them.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I've actually been surprised to see what the acceptable clarity and brightness has been with this setup, given my budget.

I just opted to invest in this equipment over a cheap and otherwise useless telescope made in China that cost much much more if I want to take photos of what's seen thru the scope while giving up any communication between the camera and the scope.

So, people can tell me how wrong and stupid what I'm doing is, but that doesn't bother me at all.

I don't have Photoshop yet, as it's extremely expensive, but hope to find a non-subscription of it later this year.

"I don't have Photoshop yet, as it's extremely expensive, ..."

There are free versions of Photoshop out there. One is Gimpshop and the very best free one is form Canon itself called DPP4. You can d/l it form the website. It is totally free and very capable.

EB

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You missed the extension tube. While not exactly at infinity, I think that the moon is far enough away to prevent focusing on it.

Actually, I don't have any trouble focusing on the moon at all. The reason the tube is between the magnifiers is because the Canon magnifiers I have simply will not stack together because of the internals.

"... because the Canon magnifiers I have simply will not stack together because of the internals."

Hmm, wonder if there is a reason?

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I was assuming that anyone that was wanting to shoot the Moon has enough sense to not use an extension tube which is basically designed for close up macro work. not extending telephoto power. I would think this total combo for someone doing close up photography would find it impossible to get anything resembling decent results. In fact I think it not likely the OP can get a decent Moon shot with or without said extension tube.

EB

As I just replied in an above reply, you would be surprised how well this is working for me.

Call me whatever you want, but the only challenge I have taking great pictures of the moon is the gimbal I have doesn't point straight overhead. 

But, don't worry.  I'll eventually get a better attachment for my tripod for celestial photography, which will have the required range of motion and will have automatic tracking that will also handle this 13.8 pound camera and optic arrangement. 

Announcements