cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

55-250 lens making a grinding noise.

canonovice
Apprentice

Forgive me is this question has already been addressed but I did not come across it in my search.  I have just bought a used canon EF-S 55-250 IS lens and the IS makes a grinding noise when it tries to autofocus.  Is this normal?  Should I return it to the seller as defective? When I turn of image stabilization the noise goes away.  I have just started learning photography and don't know much about what is normal and what is not.  Thanks for any help you can give.

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Return it, ASAP.  Lenses are supposed to sing, not make grinding noises.  If you are interested in the EF-S 55-250 IS  lens, but cannot afford the retail list price, then check out the Refurbished Lens section of the Canon Onlline Store.  The various items come and go, in and out of stock, but most of the EF-S regularly available.

While the AF in that particular lens isn't "silent", and does make audible sounds when it begins hunting, it should not sound like a "grind".  Neither should the motor noises be very noticeable from more than a few feet away.  Check out the Refurshed Online Store for the "STM" version.

The lens is a typically included with entry level DSLR kits because they are good to learn about photography.  Most ki lenses are very good at teaching what "bad lens" really mens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have just started learning photography and don't know much about what is normal and what is not."

That advice in the above post may be hasty.  The determining factor is your description of "grinding"?  Most lenses with IS make some noise.  I have a few Sigma lenses that make considerable noise.  Some Canon lens are nearly silent.  They all work fine and have for a long time so far.

The best thing is to find someone that is more knowledgeable in camera gear and see it they also think it is excessively "grinding".

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"That advice in the above post may be hasty.  The determining factor is your description of "grinding"?" 

I've used that lens, and yes, the lens is noisy.  Very noisy.  Disturbingly noisy.  An easy check to see if it is IS or AF should be to turn IS off.  Yes, the IS is probably the most likely culprit.  The lens isn't smart enough to know when the shutter isn't being pressed.  It's a battery bandit.

I've tried that with the copy I had, and while it made slightly different noises, it still hunted and groaned just as loud. The IS will keep working and groaning away for as long as the camera is awake.  You would think that it stop if the shutter is not half-pressed, but it doesn't.

If it is used, if it is not too late, I say return it.  If you are really interested in that lens, meaning it's zoom focal length range, then take a look at the "STM" version of the EF-S 55-250mm at the Canon refurbished store.  That lens is smart enough to stop IS hunting when the shutter isn't pressed.  And, the Canon store will give you a one year warranty, which is much better than what you're probably getting with the used one you bought.  Most retail outlets only give you 30-90 days for used gear.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

..(then take a look at the "STM" version of the EF-S 55-250mm at the Canon refurbished store)...

Absolutely! I've had both and the STM version is sharper, faster, and almost silent!
PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"

canonovice
Apprentice
thanks.
Announcements