cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

35mm f2 usm vs 35mm f1.4L?

itchel
Apprentice

Hello, I am in the market for a used lens as finances are low but creativity is high. The difference in price is about 200 euro more for the L but is it even worth it? I'm mostly going to use the lens for landscape, portraits and every day use. I recently had a baby so it's become super important to me to get an all arounder to capture every day moments with our new family. I'll be using the lens on a 6D.

What's your opinion as I see a lot of mixed reviews online and it's hard to make a decision.

Thank you in advance 🙏

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite

Note that 35mm on full frame is not the best focal length for portraits.  Full body perhaps, but as you get tighter for headshots, this can lead to lots of distortions in facial features.  Features closest to the camera will end up being exaggerated.

Having said that, if you plan on using the lens in low-light situations, the extra stop of the f/1.4 could come in handy.   Though f/2 is also a very good aperture.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I agree with Ricky.  A 35mm lens is not my first choice for portraits.  

I am surprised to hear that the two lenses would be so close in price.  The 35mm f/1.4L lens had a list price that double that of the 35mm f/2 lens.  I had a copy of the f/2 but sold it.  It was an excellent lens for photos and especially video with Dual Pixel AF sensor body cameras.

What made the 35mm f/2 so good in low light was the IS.  This lens is/was one of the sharpest 35mm lenses ever made for the Canon EF mount, IMHO.

The 35mm focal length is one of my favorites for general photography indoors.  I prefer a 50mm focal length outdoors.  I think you will be very pleased with the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM.  It is very sharp.  It has quiet motors for video shooting.  

The aperture blades are also pretty quiet.  The aperture blades are capable of smooth transitions from one setting to the next.  Many older USM lenses will “jump” from setting to the next, as if you were using a “clicked” aperture ring.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Good morning ,

I too, agree with everything that's been said.

I'd recommend a zoom.  This gives you flexibility. You can fill the frame more easily without having to move yourself.  Since you're buying EF, buying used is a good idea. 👶

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

On a 6D a 35mm lens make s a good GP lens. IMHO, it is far better than the thought of standard of 50mm lens. As a portrait lens perhaps not so much but FL is all relative to distance. How far from subject you are. Given the same AOV as any other FL, the result will be the same. Limitation of the lens not with standing of course.

35mm seems to be an easy FL for lens makers to make because most 35mm lenses are very good even the cheapest ones are very good. Save the bucks and buy the f2 version its a great lens. Remember f2 to f1.4 is just one stop which is not generally a game maker or breaker.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements