cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF8580Cdw Jams When Printing Single Checks

Gasperd
Apprentice

I am using Quicken 2014 and trying to print checks using a Canon mf8580cdw printer.  Quicken allows me to print 3 checks to a page (wallet size).  When I have 3 checks to a page (full letter size), the printer works fine.  If I have only 1 check to print, the check jams every time.

My old HP laser jet printed checks perfectly every time.

Is there any way to get the Canon to print just the one check?

7 REPLIES 7

Patrice
Whiz

Hi Gasperd.

I will be able to assist you.

So that I can best assist you, what is the exact paper size of one check?

I look forward to your reply.  Should you need immediate assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for responding. 

The specifics.  The checks are Quicken wallet size checks which contain 3 checks per each 8.5 x 11 inch piece of paper.  Letter size.

If there are 2 or three checks on the sheet, it prints OK, but if there is only the last check, it does not. 

The size of that last check is:  8.5 x 4 inches

This check will jam every single time.  I feed it through the multi purpose tray.

The way Quicken prints checks, you can print less than checks on a page. I can print two checks and remove them from the sheet and then feed the last check into the multi purpose tray the next time I want to print a check.

Again, this worked perfectly on my HP 3030, but fails every time on the Canon mf8580cdw.

Thanks for looking into this.  I would like not to throw away checks.

Thank you for you reply.

The MF8580Cdw supports customer paper sizes of 4" to 8 1/2" in width and 5 7/8" to 14" when loaded in the paper drawer and custom size paper of 3" to 8 1/2" in width and 5" to 14" when loaded in the manual feed slot.  The 8 1/2" x 4" paper size is not supported.

Should you need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I am confused as the check is 8.5 wide and 4 inches in height

This is dissapointing as it means the Canon mf8580cdw is not a practical printer to print checks. I will have to go back to my HP3030 to print checks instead.

I cannot in good faith reccomend this printer as an office printer if it is unable to print wallet sized checks.

jazztrpt
Contributor

Gasperd,

The work-around for this issue is to load the single check in the back paper feed - the front side facing you but upside down. I take out the main paper tray when I do this and it seems to work! Not sure why the Canon tech/moderator is unaware of this option.

Jazztrpt

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@jazztrpt,

Welcome to the forums.  This is an 8 yr old topic.  Likely solved or forgotten.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

What?! And I just solved it today! Hopefully it will be of help to others who are dealing with the same issue going forward.

Announcements