cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 11 will not upload PIXMA MX922 Canon Printer driver

Chris_K
Contributor

Windows 11 will not upload PIXMA MX922 Canon Printer driver. Here are the steps I have taken:

I use the USB cable & do not set as remote. (Have another remote printer in that office. The MX922 Canon printer worked fine until I had to upgrade to Windows 11.)  

1. Was able to get it to upload the patch. Then, the driver up did upload. I was able to print one photo and scan one doc. Didn't use the printer for several days, then it would not work at all--not to print or scan. The printer hardware is still in excellent condition, but the message reads that the PC does not recognize that the printer is plugged in, or attached by USB port.

2. Uninstalled driver to reinstall and get the PC to regnize the printer. Now I am back to square one in that the driver refuses to upload and be recognized by Windows 11. 

3. To answer basic questions : A. Yes, I am clicking the drop-down box on Windows 11. But that does not change the driver choice. B. Yes, I have uploaded both patches underneath the only driver choice. C. Yes, I have installed dirvers before and operated computers for 40 years. D. Yes, I had unplugged the USB port and turned off the computer when installing, then plugged in and turned on when the appropriate instructional box said to. E. Yes, I have chut down and restarted the PC in between trying again to upload the driver.     

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Same. That is the one I see for Win 11 (new Dell PC with Win 11 preinstalled) and it fails to find the printer (attached via USB). Did you find a solution?

EDIT: I found a solution myself. Using the Win 11 Settings dialog, I clicked the "Add device" button...and it WORKED! I've become so accustomed to having to work my way around because the built-in Windows function fails, I didn't even think to try it. I'm cautiously optimistic about Windows 11 at this point, which is a pleasant surprise.

Evidence - screen capture taken during the installation.Evidence - screen capture taken during the installation.

After the installation completed, it appeared as Canon MX920 series Printer WS and I was able to successfully print a Windows Printer Test Page. I tried opening a print dialog in Chrome, and then clicked "print using system dialog..." and that also worked, bringing up the familiar Canon printer control software that I had on my old PC. That may have come from attempting to install the above referenced driver, even though it failed to find the printer.

View solution in original post

On computer, in Windows Settings. I followed the steps to add a printer or scanner. I have the printer attached via USB. Windows found it, identified it, and installed the necessary drivers with no further input from me. I did not have to point to the downloaded Canon files, so I do not think those were used. 

Windows installed what now appears as two "printer" choices when printing, one is fax (I forgot this printer has a fax modem built in!) and other is print. I set the working printer as default.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Chris_K
Contributor
Canon since posted 7 driver updates under Windows 11, I downloaded them all and now the printer works. However, the scanner still doesn't recognize the Canon drivers and patches. However, dialogue reads that the scanner is now working off MS Windows default. I would change to Canon in Preferences if I could find that function.

Can I ask when you actually did the Windows 11 upgrade? I ask because I'm contemplating doing the Windows upgrade very soon, but I know drivers, especially printer drivers, can be messy to deal with after these kind of upgrades. I have an MX340 and I don't see any Win 11 drivers available. I'm hoping not to lose access to print after the upgrade. Thanks.

Can you add a link to the 7 driver updates under Windows 11.  When I go to the Canon website located here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mx-s...

I only see one driver when I select windows 11 and it does not seem to work to allow windows 11 to recognize the printer.  Here is the only driver I see.

mp68-win-mx920-1_01-ea32_2.exe

Btw, I did not upgrade I got a new HP computer from best buy
with the windows 11 already loaded on it.

Yukon, yes, that is the driver link I am using, too.  

Same. That is the one I see for Win 11 (new Dell PC with Win 11 preinstalled) and it fails to find the printer (attached via USB). Did you find a solution?

EDIT: I found a solution myself. Using the Win 11 Settings dialog, I clicked the "Add device" button...and it WORKED! I've become so accustomed to having to work my way around because the built-in Windows function fails, I didn't even think to try it. I'm cautiously optimistic about Windows 11 at this point, which is a pleasant surprise.

Evidence - screen capture taken during the installation.Evidence - screen capture taken during the installation.

After the installation completed, it appeared as Canon MX920 series Printer WS and I was able to successfully print a Windows Printer Test Page. I tried opening a print dialog in Chrome, and then clicked "print using system dialog..." and that also worked, bringing up the familiar Canon printer control software that I had on my old PC. That may have come from attempting to install the above referenced driver, even though it failed to find the printer.

Lobster 70, this time I used the green dialogue box to open and install the driver, but never got a box like the one you show above. Where did you find that box? On the Canon driver site? Or on your computer? 

On computer, in Windows Settings. I followed the steps to add a printer or scanner. I have the printer attached via USB. Windows found it, identified it, and installed the necessary drivers with no further input from me. I did not have to point to the downloaded Canon files, so I do not think those were used. 

Windows installed what now appears as two "printer" choices when printing, one is fax (I forgot this printer has a fax modem built in!) and other is print. I set the working printer as default.

Thank you Lobster70! It took a couple of tries and a troubleshoot scan & report. But one try finally took. Like you, I've got fingers crossed that this is not another temporary fix.    

Announcements