cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TR8520 offline after long idle time

rgalverson
Contributor

We have a TR8520 printer which works great.  However, after a period of idle time, it shows up in Windows as offline.  The printer is set to never power off in the eco settings.  When windows reports it as offline, it still responds to pings of its IP address, but not to attempts to visit its web page (by entering the IP address for the URL in chrome).  The printer is connected to the internet by wired cabling.  Is there some way to keep it from going offline?

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

We covered that previously.  His printer continued to go offline even though its static IP was not changing.  It remained assigned on his router and device and remained pingable.  Without more knowledge about this network hardware, Its hard to say with certainty what the issue was.  He indicated the issue was resolved after a recent FW update.  Its likely this changed something with power management or a networking protocol that affects the LAN's ability to communicate after long periods of inactivity.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Nothing changed with my networking or power management setup.  I setup a test jig so I could run wireshark and catch all the traffic to the printer.  I could see tons of http pings of some sort from one of my PCs (the one selected for scanning) to the printer.  Usually it responded in milliseconds.  However, it would eventually go offline and stop responding to those pings.  I noticed that several of the pings just before dying had a super large response time (multiple seconds).  I haven't run wireshark since it has been fixed to see if my PC is no longer pinging it incessantly.  I suspect a "driver" change might have fixed it so the "scan" PC didn't ping it all the time.  Alternately, the firmware fix might have fixed the printer so that even with tons of those pings it never goes offline.  Or both.

Announcements